New Case and Mb...windows question?

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
I started a thread a while back about swapping my hd into a new mb without having to re-install windows, i read everyones thoughts and now i have one of my own. If i partition my hard drive, and install it into my new mb, and boot up can i install a fresh copy of xp to the new partition and copy all my files and such from the old?

f'in sweet, anything special with the partition, i made one using partition magic, just a normal partition...Logical...does it need to be changed..or can i "repair" my old windows installation..could that work?

well.. you could do a repair install.... but i don't recommend it. all that'll do is reinstall windows. yes, you'll still have your files, but you'll still have to reinstall all your programs that you have installed.

hmm..i just may try the rapair first then if that doesnt work, ill shoot for the new partition

one more thing, what the easiest way to clean a heatsync b4 i use new compound?

i actually usually use a kinda soft paper towel to get the vast majority of the thermal paste off, then use cotton swabs/q-tips dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean the rest off.

great thanks for all the help, well im posting now from my new case and mb, i didnt have to repair or install anything, it just worked...freakin rad, but i cant get my audio to work....

Actually you should only use a LINT FREE cloth like lens cleaning cloth or a coffee filter because tissue paper or paper towels can leave microscopic fibers which will affect the thermal contact between the surfaces. You should keep the surfaces free of foreign materials and do NOT touch the surfaces. Hair, a piece of lint, microscopic wood fibers from paper products or even dead skin cells can significantly affect the thermal interfaces performance. You don't want to touch the surfaces as oils from your fingers can adversely affect the performance by preventing the thermal interface material from directly contacting the metal surfaces.

Use the MB CD to install the sound drivers. Then go into device manager and uninstall the sound device. Reboot and windows will find your new sound board and should find the drivers. If not point it at them.

You might check to make sure the USB 2 is working ok. For that matter look through device manager and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark on anything. If there is make sure the new MB drivers are installed and then uninstall and reinstall that particular device.

PS I use the q-tip and isopropyl being very carefull no fibers are left behind.

ok i used the guide on the articsilver site, but here is my sandra info for the pc temp. do you think its a bit warm? this is at idle for about 5 hours...

Attachments

• spec.JPG
    spec.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 139
  • hot.jpg
    hot.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 129
I use the q-tip and isopropyl being very carefull no fibers are left behind.

Unless you are using a microscope or a high powered magnified glass you don't really know if you are leaving fibers behind.

I find that rather high .... but some of those CPU's are known to run hot .

Pentium 4 run hotter then the comparable AMD CPU's.

Here is a baseline to go by:

Pentium 4 Northwood Core stock cooling
28c-55c average and 57c worry limit

Pentium 4 Prescott Core stock cooling
45c-70c average and 75c worry limit

Pentium D Smithfield Core stock cooling
55c-75c average and 80c worry limit

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back