New Camera Nikon DSLR D50

Luna

OSNN Senior Addict
Felt like posting this some place, really excited about it.

Was looking for a decent DSLR camera and this one fit the bill for the price and image quality. I should have it Tuesday morning so I can mess around and take a few pictures before work. An early Christmas present for myself.

Nikon D50, bought on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830113131

It's gotten pretty good reviews when compared to the D70 which is the next model up. I wanted to get the D70s but at over 1000$ that's more than I wanted to spend on a camera. (then you have to buy a SD card as well + shipping)

I jacked a picture from newegg.

Attachments

• 30-113-131-04.jpg
    30-113-131-04.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
That is a sweet camea, I've always wanted a digital SLR after having a go with a relative's Canon Digital Rebel. I've had to go for a cheaper, manual SLR instead for the time being, hopefully prices will continue to drop :)

I've always liked Nikon's range of SLR's though, the lens package is pretty damn effective for the price paid.

I did a little research and found that the Nikon's have just stopped after about a year. there is a chip that burns up from what I found. I ended up with a Olympus that came with 2 lenses. On the posotive side that is a very cool camera and hopefully that problem has been fixed.

I'm so jealous. Been waiting for the EOS Digital bodies to come down for years so I can use my existing lenses and filters. :( And nikon optimized for digital optics too!

As for the chip failures. I spent 40 minutes web searching and all I found was a few complaints about occasional bad pixels showing up after a while. Which is going to be a problem with any digital sensor/display. They can remap the bad pixel into oblivion under warantee, which is a lot better than with LCD screens. I personally could not find the bad pixel cluster in the photo (3-5 pixels out of 6 million?).

PS Check the battery lot number when you get the camera. They are running a recall on some of them. Probably ok though, Newegg turns product so fast it is unlikely you will get a camera or battery from an older lot. Even if you get one of the bad batteyr lots the issue is not too bad, only fails during recharge, unlike cell phones...

http://www.digitalnaturepictures.com/digital-cameras/nikon/battery-EN-EL3-safety-notice-D50-70-100

Last edited:
LeeJend said:
PS Check the battery lot number when you get the camera. They are running a recall on some of them. Probably ok though, Newegg turns product so fast it is unlikely you will get a camera or battery from an older lot. Even if you get one of the bad batteyr lots the issue is not too bad, only fails during recharge, unlike cell phones...

http://www.digitalnaturepictures.com/digital-cameras/nikon/battery-EN-EL3-safety-notice-D50-70-100

It arrived today so I'll check that when I get home, and take a few test shots to check out the quality.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back