New Amd Processor

C

cs-cky

Which would be the better processor to buy for the money. i have 50 bucks i am either gonna get a Amd alothon xp 1800+ or a amd althon xp 2000+. Is the 7 more dollars worth the extra 7 bucks. Or should i save and get something higher. Or just blow off the processor and get some ram? i am a amd duron 1.1 ghz the rest is listed....

I definatly say go with a 2000+. A couple mhz isnt much i know but for 7 bucks it is. Also Make sure the one you buy is a thoughrobred (spelt right).

hmmm...

how much of a difference is a thoughbred> it is another 20 bucks more... with that much more i dont have i could get a 2400+ xp. Should i just stick with regualr 2000+ or does it make a difference in a big way. I wont be overclocking this cpu.

looking @ your rig.. I can't see how a new cpu like the 1800+ or 2000+ will make a noticeable difference...

better to wait for something that may well double the performance...

good cpu's can be had for around 100-120 dollars...

the ones you mention may not be a big kick up above what you have...

go with the 1800 i got 1 for 50 bucks OEM and it runs at 1.666
mhz slightly overclocked at 46*C

moving from a duron to an athlon xp is a sure shot performance boost if asked anyone. Id still go with the 2000+ thoughrobred or not

id go for the extra $7 bucks. but id wait a while for the barton core to sink in and lower the price on the lower end xp chips.

i say, get a 512mb RAM, and wait for the 2500XP 333FSB to drop in price.

if you wait for the 333fsb, you will probably not regret it.

im sorry to sound stupid.. but what does this " thoughrobred " mean exactly? what does it do etc.

Thank you :rolleyes:

I had a duron 1100 and got an Athlon 1800+ tbred and there is a great improvment in performance to be had ...and I can run this 1800@1.75 ghz easy

so yes go for one why not!! ;)

They do have a point. Barton 2500+s are nearings 100 dollars and having 333fsb is pretty nice. Also thoroughbred is just a revision of the athlon cpu core. Just like a barton is.

Originally posted by Alex_is_Axel
im sorry to sound stupid.. but what does this " thoughrobred " mean exactly? what does it do etc.

Thank you :rolleyes:

palomino core athlons = 0.18 micron process... fsb == 133mhz.. 128kb L1 cache... 256kb L2 cache

throughbred core athlons = 0.13 micron process... fsb == 133/166mhz... 128kb L1 cache... 256kb L2 cache

barton core = 0.13 micron process... fsb == 133/166/200 coming soon... 128kb L1 cache... 512kb L2 cache

you can also recognise a thoughbred by their rectangular core, as opposed to the palomino which has a squarish core.

the .13 micron core of the thoughbred creates less heat in the processor than the .18 of the palomino. The thoughbreds are better for OverClocking...

I have a 2000+ palomino:huh:, its stock is 1.667 and I'm running it at 1.8 with 100% stability, a default voltage. (temps: 31 idle, 36 load)

I'm waiting till I set up a new rig (hopefully with a 2500+ barton :)) then I'm going to unlock this palomino and see how far it'll go.

go with the thoughbred.:)

Originally posted by Plexapotamus
you can also recognise a thoughbred by their rectangular core, as opposed to the palomino which has a squarish core.

the .13 micron core of the thoughbred creates less heat in the processor than the .18 of the palomino. The thoughbreds are better for OverClocking...

I have a 2000+ palomino:huh:, its stock is 1.667 and I'm running it at 1.8 with 100% stability, a default voltage. (temps: 31 idle, 36 load)

I'm waiting till I set up a new rig (hopefully with a 2500+ barton :)) then I'm going to unlock this palomino and see how far it'll go.

go with the thoughbred.:)

there are 2 t'bred versions... A and B...

the A version had a slightly smaller core and was not oc'ing friendly... the B revision runs cooler and is more stable with oc's being quite good...

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back