networking xp to xp

P

polyprop

can any body help me net work xp to xp i CAN'T do it AAAAAHHHHHH,ive put in my own ip address 192.168.0.1,xxx.xxx.0.2 do i have to fill the default gateway as well and the dns server if so what numbers do i put in,i tryed pinging but it did not work.

yes, you have to list the default gateway...try using 255.255.255.0 ...
the DNS server you can list as your main server 192.168.0.1
Try that and see if it works,

What kind of network is it? Two compters on a x-over or hub?

have u treid to use the home networking wizard with xp?

What protocols are you using?

Also, do you know if the cable works?

It might have been damaged somehow.

i've used the wizard no luck,i am using tcp/ip,everything worked fine on my windows 98 setup,its a nightmare

Having a similar problem but the difference is that i see the other computer ( not allways by ping ) but not in chat ( ICHAT ) . I must specify that i use the same protocol for internet too ( TCP/IP ) .
Anyone have a ideea what causes this ? :(

If your talking about online chat, it is because your PC's are sharing one IP address, so their not going to list themselves twice. I don't know what ICHAT is...

No , i mean on a local network with a neighbour . We use as chat ICHAT , the only one we found that worked xp to xp ( & netmeeting sure ) . I see him in view network computers but in ICHAT not ! but the real dogg is that he can ... interesting but we cannot repair this .. any help ? :rolleyes:

polyprop: if the cable seems to be good and the lights are on.....
try rebooting both machines......then run IPCONFIG on each and post results..

Cable it's ok , i've tried also ping , works , also i can see him on my network places but not in chat ... i'll have nightmares with this :confused:

Check that your built in XP firewall aint doing anything it shouldnt. Its in the advanced tab of your Network settings. Thats caught me out a few times.

Disable it and see it your connection works, then start enabling parts of it and see when it starts to fail again.

Yes , it's enabled . Can u tell me some tweaks to set it ? But i don't thing this is the cause , i've disabled it and no luck .

I dont know of any "Tweaks" as such for the Firewall. Make sure that this is the problem first though. Just simply disable it. Then see if your program works.

If it does then you know where your problem is.

I would then re-enable the Firewall, and click on the setting button at the bottom of the screen.

Uncheck everything. And start systematically enabling each box one at a time. When your program stops working, then you'll know whats casuing it to die.

What you do then is up 2 u.....

Oh - i should have also said that you should make sure you applied it, when you diabled your firewall.

If its not that then im afraid i dunno...

No luck , i quess i must install again network but it's ok if i use the same protocols as internet ( TCP / IP ) , maybe this is the problem
( i've forgot to tell you , uff , what programs to stop working ? )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back