Networking XP & 95 with X-over cable

L

lucky

hey, im trying to network my xp mahcine to my 95 machine with a crossover cable, ive heard 95 doesnt like crossovers and being that 95 is dial-up networking i dont know what to do, if anyone can shed any light on this subject for me i would be greatly appeciative

You should be able to install the basic MS networking protocols (tcp/ip, client for MS Networks, file/printer sharing) and set each box's IPs to 192.168.0.1 (XP, for example) and 192.168.0.2 (95), set the gateway on the 95 box to 192.168.0.1, reboot and you should be good to go. (Assuming your internet connection is to the XP box, not the 95)

You may or may not have to set up internet connection sharing in XP. If you do, I want to say that there's an option to have the networked computers connect via cross-over and have it automatically set that up on the xp box, then it'll offer to make a network setup disk that you can plug into the 95 box and run to set up the network settings there.
/L.A

There is no issue with Win95 and a crossover cable - as far as Win95 is concerned - it's connected to a network.

after you have setup an IP address for yor computer - go to the Network properties and make sure that you are in the same "workgroup" as you XP machine (assuming that is already setup).

Then you have to creat a user account on the Win95 machine the same as on the XP machine (otherwise XP will ignore it).

when you first power up Win95 with the network protocols set it will ask you for a user name and password - this is where you get a chance to setup the user.

It can be tricky to get both to talk to each other as there are a few things to check and sync.

Once everything is up and running you should be able to ping each others IP address via the command shell.

Why are you still using 95? I would suggest to move to 98SE. No problem here with using crossover cables with a 98SE and XP machine.

use the networking wizard in xp
and it should make a disk for 95

As an example:

give your XP-machine a ip-address of 10.10.10.1 -> gateway 10.10.10.2

win95-machine 10.10.10.2 -> to internet DHCP?

BUT, DON'T FORGET you 1st dns & 2nd dns on your XP-machine!!
Otherwise it will keep looking forever

nope

xp will make a networking disk for win98SE and above only not 95 ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back