Networking woes...

J

JeremyT

I have 2 computers networked together. Both are running WinXP Pro. My main computer is a pIII800 with 128 mb sdram. The other is a pIII 1 ghz with 128 mb sdram. I use 2 ASOUND ethernet cards and use a 16' ft section of cable.

I set the network speed to 10mbps (not auto detect) with full duplex enabled (not auto detect).

I use them to share my ISP connection, to play games and to share files.

The Problem: I can share my ISP just fine, albeit it connects by itself sometimes. I SEEM to be able to play games fine, only Unreal Tournament so far. BUT, anytime I try to view the other computers files from my main computer it not only takes a long time to open a folder, but once in I can do nothing with the files. Either Explorer will quit responding or it will say that it cannot find the remote drive anymore. I have been able to move files from my computer to the 2nd one, but only twice so far.

When I try to view my main computers files from the 2nd computer, it won't even open up my folders at all. The same cannot connect to remove files/folders etc... Sometimes the maching will even lock up so I need to reboot or BSoD...

Yes, I am pretty confident I have all the permissions and folders/drives shared correctly. I have no firewall, not even for my ISP. I removed the registry setting as told here: http://www.xp-erience.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=71 to speed up folder browsing... Hell, I even pulled out the Network cards and put them back in to make sure there wasn't a hair stuck in the PCI slot or something...

If you need to know anything else, I check the forums a lot and will post reply...

Thanks

-JeremyT

I would not mnaually set the speed and duplex mode. If your hub/switch/other card does not support it you will not get connectivity. I would reset both cards to auto-detect. If the other card supports 100mbit/full it will set it as so. If it in fact does not, it will match them both up for optimum speed.

JJB6486

Update:

I set the speed and duplex mode back to auto. I had them there before however and had the same problems. When I try to repair the connection from the 2nd computer I get these 2 errors:

"The following steps of the repair operation failed:
Purging and reloading the remote cache net table of netBT.
Sending name and release packets to WINS and then starting refresh."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back