Networking/Router program preference.

electrickpirate

pirate extraordinaire
I was wondering if anyone knows if this is possable, and if so, how to do it:

I have 4 computers, through a router, cable modem. Is there any way to have the router recognize when a particular program(warcraft)or when a particular port is being used and if so, allocate all the bandwidth that program/port can use, dividing the remaining bandwidth to any other programs/ports running on the lan?

QoS (Quality of Service) your router should have it, and windows definitely has it

This is my QoS

So I click enable, and then how do I actually had a program/game?

You have to figure out which port a game is using? How would you do that, and yes I should know this by now. lol

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 292
well the game site should tell you what port it is using (game docs should also) then you tick optimize gaming applications.

Under that you add the required details -

Game name
How much of a priority it will have
Port

(Not sure what its like under windows)

Norm all there is to it, although im no expert when it comes to QoS - there are bound to be gaming sites out there that explain it better than i :)

Thank you Dark, exactly what I was looking for. Embarrassed I didn't know, and didn't even look in my own router...

Let's clarify something about QoS..

You can only really control outbound QoS - meaning the traffic you send out of a device. You really have very limited control over inbound QoS because you can only sort the packets once you get them.

OK fitz, thanks. I made my main machine(mac addy) and the program highest priority in QoS, but I'm not sure it really made a difference or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back