networking questions

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
i want to set some sort of network/connection sharing thing up at home.

but dont really know how to go about it.

basically i will have my main computer, which i use now! i have broadband connecting from the wall... to my cable modem, then to my ethernet card.

i will be buying a laptop, which i want to be able to use this connection, but only wireless so i can move freely with the laptop!

there will also be another computer in the house, which i will want to connect with aswell it wont be moving so it being wireless isnt really needed but that doesnt matter.

i would also like them to sorta have accounts...so my account would be the main admin account full privs. and then a limited account for other house members! my college uses novel client for this, would i just use the same thing, or something smaller?

any help appreciated.

what hardware? cables, cards, software etc... do i need?

if i'm using the laptop is it possible that it will show my hdds from my main system as network drives or something?

my knowledge on laptops is pretty limited, do laptops connect wirelessly through a card, usb ethernet? is it easy to emplement into old laptops ie all having a slot, or just certain things i need to look for

Ok first you need to get a router with a wireless access point and a switch. I would go with a Linksys prodect like that myself but there are others. You will need some cat5e cables plus any network interface cards for the systems that will not be moving. Now for the laptop you can get a pc card that allows wireless access you can get wireless builtin to the laptop. There we would need a little more information

chastity is right -

a little mor einfo that might help is when you come to the WAP point you could probably easily get one that comes already with a couple of USB dongles, then you could use them, one for the laptop and one for the other machine.

I would suggest configuring your network right first before you worry about the access rights and permissions - one step at a time and it may well be that the users are "naive" enough you can just use XP limited user accounts (at least that is my guess). BTW if you go with the dongles you might not need any CAT5, but you will probably be spending a little more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back