NEtworking problems (can't connect to \\Host\share)

Lukas

Real Name No Gimmicks
Hi all,

First of all: the set up:

TOMCAT: Windows 2k3 enterprise server, primary domain controller, domain realm.home, IP 10.0.0.1 & 10.0.0.100

HAWK: Windows XP Pro SP1, hawk.realm.home, IP 10.0.0.2

HORNET: Windows XP Pro SP1; hornet.realm.home, IP 10.0.0.3

From HORNET (Admin with DOMAIN ADMIN permissions):
\\HAWK\c$ = ok
\\TOMCAT\c$ = ok
\\HORNET\c$ = NOT OK [configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either becouse the machine is unavailable or access has been denied] - ??? this is the same host!
\\hornet.realm.home\c$ = ok
\\10.0.0.3\c$ = ok

From HAWK (Admin with DOMAIN ADMIN permissions):
\\HAWK\c$ = ok
\\TOMCAT\c$ = ok
\\HORNET\c$ = NOT OK [configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either becouse the machine is unavailable or access has been denied]
\\10.0.0.3\c$ = ok

From TOMCAT (Admin with DOMAIN ADMIN permissions):
\\HAWK\c$ = ok
\\TOMCAT\c$ = ok
\\HORNET\c$ = NOT OK [configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either becouse the machine is unavailable or access has been denied]
\\10.0.0.3\c$ = ok

Checked dns:

C:\Documents and Settings\Lukas>nslookup
Default Server: tomcat.realm.home
Address: 10.0.0.1
> HORNET
Server: tomcat.realm.home
Address: 10.0.0.1
Name: HORNET.realm.home
Address: 10.0.0.3

Ping:

C:\Documents and Settings\Lukas>ping hornet
Pinging HORNET.realm.home [10.0.0.3] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.0.0.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 10.0.0.3:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Checked DNS Settings:
All machines have the same DNS configuration, using 10.0.0.1 as the primary dns server, with two other dns servers from my ISP.

Checked user rights:
Permission are ok, don't see anything unusual, and both users (me & my girlfriend) have Domain Admin privileges

Facts:
\\Dotted domain name\share always works, on all hosts.
\\HOSTNAME\share works on every host from every host except for the HORNET machine.
\\IP Addres\share works on every host from every host.
DNS is configured correctly
User rights are configured correctly
I am becoming a very frustrated person.

QUESTION: how come I can connect to the administrative shares through dotted domain name (hornet.realm.home), though IP addres (10.0.0.3) but not through the hostname (HORNET) while I'm perfectly able to ping and resolve the hostname?

Greetz

Lukas

i am suddenly having the same trouble on a windows 2000 dc. though it is only occuring over vpn, not on the local lan. can i ask what you found to be the problem as well what you did to fix it? this is rather bizarre and very frustrating. if it matters, the last change that i recall was implementing dfs.

Did you run the networking wizard on Hornet? If you did (it sounds like it may have been run), the wizard will deactivate \\hornet\c$. You can bypass it by typing \\hornet.realm.home\c$ because that is not specifically listed in the block. To correct this, right click on My Computer and choose Manage. Make sure that the shared \\hornet\c$ is active and that the Administrator group is listed in the share.

Hi,

@ corina:

It's a weird problem, isn't it? I also am using Distributed File System. Do you think the bug is in there?

Unfortunatly I have no answer to the problem. I had a disk crash on my Win 2003 server, and I had to reinstall everything. Now everything works, including DFS. I tried to look for help on the net, microsoft knowledge base, co-workers, friends, and school IT-teachers; no-one knew the solution. Their answers were: permissions, or faulty dns settings. None of those were true. Please let me know if you find the answer... pretty please. :)

@ Reg:

The administrative shares (x$) were active, and not reachable. The networking wizard have never been run. The permissions were all fine, and the user was a memeber of the domain/enterprise admins groups, so that made him like a god on the network.
It's a really really weird problem, even nslookup works. Only the c$, ^$, and so on shares don't work when using a hostname.

Greetz

Lukas

ms article

so it turned out to be DNS related, but in respect to DFS.
MS article 244380 addressed the issue. we regedited and voila, it works over the vpn now. still really bizarre though. hope the info is useful somehow.

Lukas --thanks for the quick response! :)

I'm glad you found the solution and that your vpn/dfs is up and running. Q244380 bookmarked... (you never know) =)

Thnx

Lukas

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back