Networking - good practice?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Hey guys - in the context of this thread I have managed to squeeze out the information that for my final interview I'll probably be asked two things, one will be to go through a set of acronyms explaining what they stand for or mean (like IP address, HTML that sort of thing) and the other will be to explain how I would advise in a situtatin where an organisation is moving on from a standalone machine and say they want a network.

Now that is a pretty open ended question.

I would be aiming to try to cover good practices in the process and thought I would canvas opinions and input here as a way of mulling things over and a kind of "revision".

Some things I know already (though they may be open to question or debate):-

Start from the budget, expectations, and need. Sharing a printer and internet access via a router seem sommon sense. Consider the effect on budget if software is to be server licensed.

A server is surely a very good start point - would a network without one have so much value? Is a samba server a valid option, even if all clients are M$ based?

Ensure there is a network chart as part of plan, ports are numbered, a naming standard for machines (some of these considerations in case in future there are other offices or networks interlinked).

What sorts of things am I missing or need covering here?

All input from the considerable experience out there - but remember this is in a voluntary sector situation and not a commercial one.

Network type, bus, ring, mesh? Will wifi be added or incorporated at a later date?

yeah I meant to mention the wifi and domain aspects (probably stick with workgoup to start with)....

Not usre if I made it clear enough - but this is an open ended question... I really do not know the exact parameters and they may or may not be defined, so just looking for generic sorts of pointers (EG: Samba server will prohibit M$ based server email like exchange)

Well I am sure Samba would quite happily deal with dhcp, dns, file sharing and perhaps even printer sharing.

well, having a workgroup instead of a domain prevents using exchange (at least, to it's full potential)

What about internet connection? does it need as close to 100% uptime as possible? what about redundancy in both the server(s) and the internet connection. I know that is largely based on budget, but as the network grows, will it need to incorporate those things?

Don't assume a network must have a dedicated "server" by default. Most SME's don't need such a network. Most can have a workstation act as a server, say the bosses higher spec machine.

Most UK SME's also have a workstation per employee and don't need the roaming profiles that an AD network would provide.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back