networking fault

kev59

OSNN Senior Addict
i have just bought a new mother board with on board lan and have ntl on a cable modem i have networked with the computer upstairs but as soon as i do that my cable modem stops working any ideas

need more info are you using a hub or router to connect the 2 or 2 nics and a crossovercable.

How is this networked? If it is like this:
Code:
  Modem
    |
Hub/switch
  /    \
Comp1 Comp2
...it will not work since your ISP most likely only give you one IP. In order to make this work you must have a network looking like this:
Code:
  Modem
    |
  Router
  /    \
Comp1 Comp2
...or this:
Code:
Modem
  |
Comp1 (with ICS)
  |
Comp2

it goes modem to lan point on computer motherboard then from network card to 2nd computer
cannot be cable etc as with my old motherboard it all worked from cable modem via usb to motherboard then network card comp 1 to network card comp 2 and all was fine

my internet works fine untill i enable the network card in comp 1 but if i enable the network card i get no connection to the internet

I'm jus gonna run through a few things to get myself familiar with the situation...

1. you used to link the modem to your pc via usb prior to the new motherboard and since you got the new motherboard, you're connecting it to the PC on the NIC card?

If so, I would try turning the PC off, and turning the modem off. Wait about 1-2 minutes and turn the modem back on. Wait a moment for the lights to light up correctly (if you link from the set top box (like I do), wait til the top 2 lights are on static) and then turn the PC on.

Code:
CABLE    ____  WAN ____ COMP1 _____ LAN _______ LAN _______ COMP2
MODEM      (PC1 NIC1)  (SERVER)  (PC1 NIC2)   (PC2 NIC1)    (CLIENT)

On comp1, is the NIC (linked to the modem) set to get the IP from DHCP? Also, are all the protocols unticked apart from "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"?? It's possible when the other NIC is enabled (i.e. when comp2 turns on), ntl are detecting netbios or file sharing on their network and are cutting the line?? Never had the problem myself, but I've always only had TCP/IP enabled on the outside line. I will show screenshots to explain what I mean later on today (should be gettin ready to go out at the min). Check ICS is ticked on the properties of the NIC linked to the cable modem.

I will refer to the diagram I made above later today - sorry I cant help more right now. Will do later though :)

the modem goes in to my on board lan connection

thanks a lot tried what you said went into properties of card and there was all the protocols enabled so i unticked all but tcp/ip and low and behold it works thanks alot great site for help even us neweys thanks again

No problem. :)

One tip though, try to use som periods (.) next time. Your post are really hard to read.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back