networking cable question.

mooo

thecyberninja
I am trying to cap some network cable i have. I have both ends capped and they look correct, but when i plug from the router to the computer it doesn't show connection on the computer. but on the router it does. So i switch the cable around and the router light goes off and the computer light stays off. both ends seem correct. Would this mean that the one side is capped correct and the other isn't?

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
if its a straight through, ie going from hub/router/switch to machine then it should be
Orange Stripe
Orange
Green Stripe
Blue
Blue Stripe
Green
Brown Stripe
Brown

*damn that was all from memory, I have been crimping too many cables

Also make sure that the individual wires reach all the way to the top of the connector, and sometimes you need to give the end another good squeeze to make sure all the copper teeth are through properly

Kush

High On Life!
LOL ganna be doing that soon to i already have a crimp tool and did like 2 cables, but memorizing thats a bit too hard lol

ThePatriot

-=[BOHICA!]=-
Political User
Also, in case you need a crossover cable..one end would be as Geffy said, other would be: Green Stripe-Green-Orange Stripe-Blue-Blue Stripe-Orange-Brown Stripe-Brown. Just in case you needed to make one.

Geffy...definitely making too many cables. :p

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
If one end lights up then one of the two pairs is not crimped properly or you swapped the wires.

My crimping tool is a flat blade screw driver. I refuse to pay $20-30 for a tool to attach 50 cent plugs.

Kush

High On Life!
yeah i made 2 crossover cables for your daily pr0n transfer to ur friends pc:p jk but for data transfer of large files, wont need to be using that too much now i got a sandisk 1gb usb 2.0 cruser mini!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut