Networking / Broadband advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political Access
Lets try again

Ok, help me out please. This is all theory at the moment, but I just want to get some tings straight.

If I where to get adsl, then I would need a modem, obviously, I would also want a router so I can get my mothers machine online.

I was looking at the “Netgear ADSL Modem, Router with 4-port 10/100 Mbps switch DG 834” (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000E0YHF/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_2/202-6043620-6746255). First of all is this any good? If not what is a good one.

Second of all would this be all I would need for connect the machines together?

I would get something like this USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter for my mothers machine (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000062R4P/ref=er_ra_acc_dp_5/202-6043620-6746255)

And I have a D Link DFE-530TX network card in my machine. Could you tell me if all this would work together, or what I would need???!!!!!

I don’t know network hardware. Please help me !!! J

I would just buy a router without the DSL modem. Most ADSL Companies include a modem lease/rental in their monthly access fee; a modem should come with the service.

I recomend Linksys routers for home use.

-JJB

the one i am considering doesn't include a modem, its a bare bones, cheapy do it yourslef style thing

what i mean was the ADSL service i am considering doesn't provide a modem, so i need a modem and router. and how do they fit al together

Oh, then get the NetGear dohickey you posted in your first post.

-JJB

Khayman - just out of interest - who's the ISP your signing up to?

MdSalih

Just a small point. If you ever change from DSL to anything else you'll have to replace the router if you get the one with a modem. Otherwise you just chuck the modem.

It may not be a problem by then, but it's worth considering.

Oh No!

Khayman said:
I am considering tiscali

Tiscali is absolute rubbish, stear well clear, their billing is ridiculous. Also
what are you considering? Their "Broadband" 150k. Huh!!!

I've been with Pipex Ltd for more than a year and it's great !!!
I work at a large firm which employs around 600 people and many have asked
the same question and have signed up for Pipex on my recommendation.

I've been with Pipex Ltd for more than a year and it's great !!!
I work at a large firm which employs around 600 people and many have asked
the same question and have signed up for Pipex on my recommendation.

I've been with Pipex since April 2002 and it's worked quite well... except when BT dropped the connection of thousands of DSL subscribers a while back.

well I can still help you :p

The NetGear DG834 is a good DSL modem router choice, it will allow you to have a home LAN, and it also features a pretty strong firewall with DDoS protection and all sorts like that. Its actually the newer version of the thing I have both here at home and also at Uni where I provide internet for 18 other people via a wireless network, but that is plugged into a DG 814 which provides the DHCP lan config and the ADSL service.

So yes the 834 is a good model and no you dont need any other equip appart from NICs in each machine on the LAN and NetGear router will work fine with the other DLink hardware

Hope that helped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back