networking between xp and 98

P

PHiSHnz

i installed the cards on each of the computers.. and i got the right cable.. one that will plug straight from pc to pc....
that went fiene.. light comes on saying good connection
then i run network config wizard on xp that goes normal i guess
make the disk, install the network stuff on other pc (win 98)
that went fine.. reboot, it set up some stuff.. but i can not see each of the computers.. win 98 one sees itself... but not xp one

the workgroup names are the same (MSHOME) and the pc names are different..

i'm sure it should work
any suggestions plz?
otherwise i'll take cards back and buy sumthing else :p

:)

I don't believe the machines have IP addresses, which is needed to communicate. You will need to manually assign IP addresses to each machine.

just any ip?
i put in one... is said invalid.. (taken off the guide on this forum)

ok i put in the ips..
98 had to reboot..
then when it loaded.. xp said
"Windows - System Error
There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network"
i thought you said the ips had to be the same
what's this mean?

Go to one computer and use the ip address 192.168.0.1 and go to the other computer and put the ip address 192.168.0.2. Use 255.255.255.0 for the Subnet Mask on both of the computers. Also, you need to make sure that you have file and printer sharing added into the Win98 machines networking properties.

I never said the IPs are supposed to be the same. They are supposed to be different. They can not be the same. You can not just assign any IP address to a machine. Here is the best thing to do.

Go to your local computer store and by a device called a "Hub" or a device called a "Switch" in the computer networking section (the hubs will be about $10-20 cheaper). Then, buy some regular cat 5 UTP cable (RJ45). Plug one port on the hub or switch to one computer and plug another port on the hub or switch to the other computer. Then on the Windows XP machine, run the Wizard program again, specifying that it is directly connected to the Internet. Then on the other computer, run the wizard specifying that it connects to the gateway via another computer. That's all you will need to do.

You can try that last step with your existing setup before you go out and buy a hub or switch.

ok
i tried dif ips... didn't work
so i'm gonna go get a hub
and u said it would be $20 cheaper maybe?
so that means i don't need the network cards?

You still need the network cards. You are just going to plug them into something different.

Originally posted by Reg
Go to your local computer store and by a device called a "Hub" or a device called a "Switch" in the computer networking section (the hubs will be about $10-20 cheaper).

o
hubs cheaper than switches
hey.. if you're on now.. plz talk to me on MSN
phishnz@hotmail.com

Make Sure you have all ur protocols installed:
NetBeUI
IPX/SPX
TCP/IP

and that they are all bound to your nic

Just a tip that I learned back in the old 98 days..why not upgrade to xp?

The problem has been fixed. I worked with the guy to get things going. He was having a problem with the settings he was choosing with the Wizard. It is working now.

lol erm yea :)
thanks reg
but after i restarted.. nothing worked again :p
ohw el
i wont bother you till i get the switch :)

so that'll be a like a week or two :p
heh.. it sucks living in the country!

you were great the other night
thanks heaps

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back