Networking a HP printer

jkipk

OSNN Addict
The printer is a 1220cse color deskjet, which doesn't have a slot for an internal card. The network is 2 xp home computers on a linksys router/4 port hub connected to cable modem. Here's my question:

What advantage would I gain by adding the printer to the network over the way it is now, connected to one computer and shared? Many times one computer or the other is off while the other one is in use, so this would be my main reason for changing (the ability to not have to turn both computers on to print from the second one).

My cursory look on eBay shows 3 choices (are there others?)
1. a basic external network box (edit: printer server)
2. a 170x box (ditto)
3. and a higher speed (and too expensive) box (ditto)

The basics seem to run at less than $20us, and the 170x at $100.

Would I gain or lose speed by switching from a parallel cable to the basic box?

Thanks for any information and/or direction

kip

yeah thanks sorry about the confusion. read to replace printer server with box above, and my questions still remain. I am wondering if a cheapo printer server will gain me much advantage, or would I have to spend $100 for the 170x to get the same or better performance as I have with a shared printer
connected to the first computer on lpt1?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back