Networking 2 XP PCs???

sidefx

OSNN Addict
I am running XProSP2.

Girlfriend is running XPHomeSP2.

DSL connection shared through a Linksys router and both able to access internet.

How do I set up both pc's so that she has access to certain drives/folders on my pc and vice versa?

go to start>right click "my computer">click properties>click "computer name">click network ID> then click "this computer is part of a business network"> the click "my company uses a network without a domain.....

.... then create a name say "sidefxnet", as an example, and repeat the procedure on the other pc.

once this is done make sure both pcs are rebooted, then to share drives or folders right click on the drive or folder icon, click sharing and then click share this folder. click ok and there you have it.

i also think that on the xphome and xppro install CD's, if you put them into the drive on the option that comes up it either says additional options or just options (something close to that anyway), under that group, there is a selection to share pcs. and it talks you through the process. The option may also be on the first menu, but its pretty clear wherever it is.

Ok, I can see the shares on XPHome and my own shares under My Network Places and access them, but my girlfriend cannot see my shares on XPro only her own shares???

What am I doing wrong?

From Bill with love:

All network access to either a Windows XP Home Edition-based computer in a workgroup or to a Windows XP Professional-based computer in a workgroup uses the Guest account. Before you continue troubleshooting, make sure that the Guest account is set up for network access. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

net user guest

c. If the account is active, a line appears in the output of the command that is similar to the following:

Account active Yes

d. If the account is not active, use the following command to give the Guest account network access:
net user guest /active:yes

e. The following text returns after the command:

The command completed successfully.

Mastershakes said:
From Bill with love:

All network access to either a Windows XP Home Edition-based computer in a workgroup or to a Windows XP Professional-based computer in a workgroup uses the Guest account. Before you continue troubleshooting, make sure that the Guest account is set up for network access. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

net user guest

c. If the account is active, a line appears in the output of the command that is similar to the following:

Account active Yes

d. If the account is not active, use the following command to give the Guest account network access:
net user guest /active:yes

e. The following text returns after the command:

The command completed successfully.

The account is active and same problem.

Can you manually browse to the shares using the UNC path, e.g. //machinename/sharename

sidefx said:
I followed your instructioms, however, no luck!

The results are the same, i see her shares, but she cannot see mine.
Any chance the firewall on yours is still on? Or rather, you can leaveit on if you want to, just make sure you tell it to allow file sharing.It should be safe to turn it off since you have the router, which hasthe same effect as Window's firewall (3rd party firewalls have morefunctions though).

What is the error? Permission denied? If you are still using normal File Sharing on XP Pro, you have to enable the Guest account access.

Mastershakes said:
Start, Run \\machinename

and... they are members of same workgroup correct?

When doing this on my pc it opens a window showing her shares, however on my girlfriend's pc she gets an error saying cannot find it and make sure you typed it correctly and try it again.

j79zlr said:
What is the error? Permission denied? If you are still using normal File Sharing on XP Pro, you have to enable the Guest account access.

The Guest account was turned off under Control Panel > User Accounts.

However, now that it's enable still no go.

Do you have a firewall running on the XP Pro Machine? Also, you do not have to enable the guest account on the XP Pro box, just make sure the Guest account has NTFS permissions to view the shares.

j79zlr said:
Do you have a firewall running on the XP Pro Machine? Also, you do not have to enable the guest account on the XP Pro box, just make sure the Guest account has NTFS permissions to view the shares.

I use a 3rd party firewall, the same as her actually and can see her shares. I have tried disabling my firewall and doesn't seem to work.

How do I make sure the Guest account had NTFS permissions to view shares?

sidefx said:
I use a 3rd party firewall, the same as her actually andcan see her shares. I have tried disabling my firewall and doesn't seemto work.

How do I make sure the Guest account had NTFS permissions to view shares?

I still think it's the firewall. Are you sure your firewall allows filesharing as it is now? It sounds alot like it doesn't. Compare thesettings.

Or ....... copy "netnbf.inf to Windows/Inf file and "nbf.sys" to Windows/System 32/drivers,from XP CD.

Choose sharing on required files/folders/ printers on master PC.

On each machine Network icon properties , now installthe available "Netbui" new protocol, and enable "NetBios over TCPIP in advanced TCPIP properties/WINS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back