Networking 101

Compubozo

OSNN Junior Addict
I will start by saying I'm very new to networking and need some help with understanding the basics. I've been reading help files and I seem to be going in circles without much progress. Anyway.....
I have set up a wireless network using a d-link rangebooster N router (DIR-625) and two d-link rangebooster N wireless adapters (Dwa-542). I can access the internet from all three computers.(desktops)
But then.....I decided I wanted to control and view the screen of one computer from another. That's where I fell into the abyss. I tried remote desktop connection using the ip that was on the router status page and couldn't connect. If I try to browse for more I see MSHOME and no computers listed. Do I need a VPN? netmeeting? valium?

Is RDP enabled on all machines? Are all machines part of the same workgroup? Do all machines have a unique name? Are all machines password protected accounts?

Answer needs to be yes to all of the above

Firewalls need to be configured to allow RDP

Thanks, looks like good stuff.
I think I have more configuration to do for the router.
In following the step by steps, First thing I ran into was in system properties remote, I only have a section for remote assistance, not remote desktop. ?

Thanks shamus, checking.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, looks like good stuff.
I think I have more configuration to do for the router.
In following the step by steps, First thing I ran into was in system properties remote, I only have a section for remote assistance, not remote desktop. ?

I'm guessing you have Windows XP Home. Unfortunately Home does not have to option to connect to. You can control a Pro machine from a Home machine but not the other way around. There are third party programs available that do the same thing (RealVNC is one that comes to mind.

Maybe a few other members will have some suggestions.

As for the computers in showing in the workgroup do they

A) Have any shares setup?
B) Have any firewalls? (If you use the windows firewall, check to see if file and printer sharing is allowed.)
C) Can you access the computer via Start>Run then typing \\computername or \\ipaddress ?

Is RDP enabled on all machines? Are all machines part of the same workgroup? Do all machines have a unique name? Are all machines password protected accounts?

Firewalls need to be configured to allow RDP

Firewalls need to be configured to allow RDP[/QUOTE]

Please pardon my ignorance but if RDP is enabled should I see that in my connection properties? It's not there and I can't find it to add under protocols.

I am using XP home and windows firewall. In the firewall under exceptions, remote connection is checked but uder group police it says NO(actually everything under exceptions is no) does that matter. I went to the advanced tab and settings for my connection and nothing there was checked, I checked everything under icmp and remote under services. I can ping the router address from any of the computers but can't ping one from another. I'm going to the router now to see if I can screw that up.

C) Can you access the computer via Start>Run then typing \\computername or \\ipaddress ?
I get network path not found.

XP home does NOT have a remote desktop option, only Pro has.

You didn't actually type \\computername or \\ipaddress did you? You have to replace computername or ipaddress withthe correct values.

No I go that part right, I tried the name first and then the IP that the router status page says is connected.

I just want to clarify, you used the LAN IP right? It usually in the format 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x. You don't use the WAN/Internet IP for this.

I just want to clarify, you used the LAN IP right? It usually in the format 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x. You don't use the WAN/Internet IP for this.
These are the settings under router status. I used the ip down at LAN computers:

Product Page: DIR-625 Hardware Version: A1 Firmware Version: 1.09

Setup Advanced Tools Status Support
Device Info

Logs

Statistics

Active Sessions

Wireless
Device Information
All of your Internet and network connection details are displayed on this page. The firmware version is also displayed here.

General

Time : Wednesday, February 11, 2004 11:15:13 AM
Firmware Version : 1.09, 2006/10/23

WAN

Connection Type : DHCP Client
Cable Status : Connected
Network Status : Established
Connection Up Time : 0 day(s), 0:30:23

MAC Address : xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Authentication & Security : N/A
IP Address : 192.168.1.47
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS Server : 192.168.1.1
Secondary DNS Server : 192.168.1.1
BigPond Server Name :
BigPond Status : Unknown (Please wait...)

LAN

IP Address : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server : Enabled

Wireless LAN

Wireless Radio : On
Network Name (SSID) : home
Channel : 1
Security Type : WPA-Personal

LAN Computers

IP Address Name (if any) MAC
192.168.0.135 br xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 192.168.0.168 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

IGMP Multicast memberships

Multicast Group Address

Last edited:
Ok that looks correct. In order to share files you need to create some network shares, which should automatically allow File and print sharing through the windows firewall.

Right Click on a directory and select "sharing"
Click the Sharing tab, and select "Shared as"
Enter a description and click OK
The directory will now have a hand on the directory

As for the remote control part I'm afraid you will have to look for a third party program to do that.

To simplify things, try installing LogMeIn. It's might serve the purpose you want and you don't have to mess with router settings. I like it quite a bit--plus it's free!

Ok that looks correct. In order to share files you need to create some network shares

Ok got that to work!
I'm using windows live one care and I believe it's firewall overrides windows firewall. I had to make a couple of changes before I could see the files on another computer.

And thanks to all your suggestions. I appreciate your time. I tried calling D-link tech support a while ago and OMG! I thought to myself "Hey aren't you the people who sell this router? Lotsa fun!
Well I'm not giving up on remote control yet, but I am for today!

Thanks again I'm slightly more edicated now.

I'll second logmein.com, I went through this whole process a couple of times over the past 2-3 years, never did figure out RCD. Logmein.com is SOOO simple and it just works.

Remote desktop is easy. You just must have either XP Pro or Server 2003 to use it. After that just enable remote desktop and connect to your IP address.

To simplify things, try installing LogMeIn. It's might serve the purpose you want and you don't have to mess with router settings. I like it quite a bit--plus it's free!

I have that to log into my laptop at home while I am at school, but they blocked it because I was on it too much...^_^

I have used LogMeIn and it is a great service however I think Compubozo wants to control his PC over his LAN and not from another location. Why go out onto the internet and then back in for a local connection.

If he wants to remotely use his computer somewhere else then LogMeIn is a great solution otherwise a program like RealVNC is better.

And LordofLA, I already asked about the OS and it's XP Home so the Windows Remote Desktop solution isn't going to work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back