Networking 101

Reporting some progress! I was successful in communicating between 2 computers with net meeting through port forwarding. I can make the one automatically answer but I have to be there to share the desktop and allow contol. After that I can go to the other computer and control both. Not ideal but it's progress. More to come but right now my obsession with this has made me late for an appointment.
And I'm not ignoring your suggestions on programs, just short on time right now.

Compu - don't feel so noobish. I spent about 2 hours last night trying to do what you are trying and finally said "screw it". Windows violently resisted connecting to another PC on my LAN using RDC. Which is really annoying since friends and I RDC over WAN all the time when experimenting with new products.

I did get RA to work for "monitoring only" fairly quickly.

A few of the steps I was forced to do for RDC were:
-drop the firewall completely, ZA would not play nicely with others even when permissions were granted.
-opening router ports did not help (RA is 3389, RDC is 443)
-change the type of login I used did no good.
-rename the RDC files on disk saved from the RDC request email message since eudora insisted on adding numbers to them and would not execute them from the email.

I got as far as RDC saying something like "the connection was broken" which implied the computer saw each other and tried to connect. The help for that message was useless and at that point I gave it up as a lost cause. Use one of the third party applications mentioned above.

Thanks LeeJend. This stuff can make a guy lose his temper, hair etc...:)

And LordofLA, I already asked about the OS and it's XP Home so the Windows Remote Desktop solution isn't going to work.

Yes I know but people are(were) still goign on about how to enable remote desktop after xp home was confirmed as the OS.

Not to offend, but a question keeps nagging me. Why would Microsoft put Remote desktop connection in xp home if it won't work? Maybe as Admiral Michael pointed out that a machine with home can control a machine with pro? I will probably try out a 3rd party program when I get time but I was just curious.

RDP works fine you need to enable it though , by default is in not set to run.

Sry did not see you meant XP home so disregard what I said

Last edited:
Not to offend, but a question keeps nagging me. Why would Microsoft put Remote desktop connection in xp home if it won't work? Maybe as Admiral Michael pointed out that a machine with home can control a machine with pro? I will probably try out a 3rd party program when I get time but I was just curious.

The reason is because Terminal Services is not an installed service in XP Home. You can download the RDP Client to connect, but you cannot host an RDP connection. Try out TightVNC or any other VNC based program.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back