Network

A

anewhope

Just setting up a 5 person network to share our cable modem, and just got a few queries about it. We've all got Ethernet NICS and CAt5 cable ready, but i've been told a router would be much better.

We've bought a hub and it's all; ready to go ahead. Not being much of a networking expert, could I set the PC with the cable modem as proxy and hang the other machines off that

The trouble with using one PC as the hub is that the main computer must always be on for the other systems to get on the net.

A router is a better idea in my opinion as you don't have to have that main computer running plus a router usually has an inbuilt firewall

Doesn't matter bout PC being on all the time, i like to download ..

you could pick up a cheap 5 port 10/100 switch to achieve the same thing.. with that you wouldn't need to bother with leaving a certain machine on.. grab a Linksys or SMC for cheap..

No that's not true. A switch will do no more than a hub (except perhaps better speed). A router is a much more complex device.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back