NEtwork XP(NTFS) & Win982nd Edition

R

renakuajo

here we go:

I have a DSl modem that its connected to a hub/switch From the hub it goes to my XP machine and from the hub there goes another Cat 5E cable to the W98 machine, both of them has internet connection from the hub, but i cant make them to see each one. I have made the workgroup, assigned names, etc. I think i have everything setup any ideas why i the machines cant see each other???

If you have your DSL modem plugged directly into the hub / switch each computer will get a IP from your ISP. Those IP's will typically be from different ranges so they won't see the other computer or your workgroup. In order to have a home network you are best to have a router / firewall or you could put 2 nics into one machine and set up a proxy server. With the use of a firewall/router you set up non-transferable IP's (192.168.x.x etc..) these IP's are secure from being viewed from the net and the router will allow both computers access to the net. By doing this you are able to enable file sharing, printer sharing, etc with little to no worries.

Hope this helps.

nope. i assigned each pc its own ip adress. In fact my dsl modem its a router but only have 1 lan so thats why i use the hub/switch.
The ip adress of both machines are 192.168.x.x so they are secure. Currently the pcs have acces to the internet what i cant do is make them to see each other

damn. still cant make pcs see each other any ideas????

forgot to mention i have zone alarm pro on both machines

Can you ping the other computer from each machine? They have different host names? Different user names? The workgroup name is the same? all lower case?

no i havent been able to ping any machine. workgroup is the same, computer names are different......host??? dont know that one where i can find it? Workgroup is not in lower cases

renakuajo, I have three machines set up on my Lan. The only problem I had in setting them up was, after running the network setup wizard, was that I had to turn off Windows firewall in order for them to see each other. The only firewall I have running is the one on my switch.

mmmmmm i will check that is anything else dont work, but dont think thats the problem, damn it!!!

in fact now in the win98 machine when i enter network neighborhood there is no icon not eventhe one that says entire network!!!! sh*t!!!

Try running the Network setup wizard on you XP machine first. It will ask you if you want to make a disc to install the wizard on a 98 machine. After the setup has made the setup disc for 98 and finished, the go into properties and turn off the Windows Firewall.

Then take your disc and install it on your 98 machine and run it. They should then be able to see each other.

i manually configured both machines. then i try running the wizard but it didnt says nothing about to make a disc to install the wizard on 98. i dont have Windows firewall enable, i dont use it, i have zone alarm pro

Chief, u were right, zone alarm was blokin the access....but now the problem is: when i try to acces the xp pc from w98 it ask for a password and i remember no putting any password....damn it at least i move a space

I heard somewhere that having the same user on the w98 machine as on the XP machine helped alot. Same password as well. W98 does networking the old way. XP does it the new secure way.

now i can see from xp the 98 machine............i can ping it too, but i cant access the pc. it says that the password is incorrect. i create a user on xp assigned a password and i know i'm typing the correct password the password are #'s so is not like its case sensitive.....what could be wrong now????, another thing how i acces from xp the 98 machine??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back