Network woes

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi all,

Firstly whoa its been a long time since I have posted, glad to see the forum is still going and hopefully the old names are still around :)

Now on to my network problem. ;)

My set-up is a netgear 5 port Gigabit switch hooked up to a second one that then hooks into my netgear rangemax router. This set-up has been happily running 4 win7 machine and a WHS2011 (along with other devices via wireless) for ages then recently I have been having problems with one of my win7 machines.
This machine is only used for playing back media either from the server or from the HTPC down stairs, the problem is that when I switch that pc on it quite often causes the router to lose the internet connection and when it does connect it is very, very, slow to list the media (though once its streaming it is OK). Now I have fitted a separate network card to that pc, re-done the cabling with CAT6, and reinstalled windows and drivers more time than I can remember...... On top of this I have now changed all the PCs to static IP addresses above that of the DHCP table...

So bar the switch that connects to or the router, I am running out of ideas... everything else works fine.

Any ideas will be much appreciated,

Cheers :)

I think one of the first things I would have done is switch ports on the router/router and see if the problem continues. See if you can isolate it to maybe a bad port.

I tried plugging the 'problem' PC straight into the router rather than via a switch, although it seems to of made no difference.

Right shuffled round the connections, I have now removed one of the switches so with the rest all plugged into the router. Still causes the router to lose connection.... I have also tried the 'problem PC' plugged directly into the main switch and then it seems to work fine...
So I guess the problem could be the cable between the 'main' switch and the router or switch? I have just ordered a new shielded CAT6 cable hopefully this will help......

At times like this I rewire, then I re-nic in that order and most networking issues go away.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back