network with router

• Thread starter mafiafromrussia
  • Start date
M

mafiafromrussia

how can i make network between 2 of my computers that are both connecter to router?

this is like this

................................../ computer1
internet>dsl model>router
..................................\ computer 2
can i do any kind of file sharing this way?

you already made it
join the same workgroup in both client comp and share as you please

cool, thanks for info. how do i find each computer though?

i go to my network places?

ok tryed that, on main computer there's no sharing option at all. i think this is due to disabling some services :) . but i shared a folder on the 2nd computer and tryed to access it from 1st,

i get this error on image atached

hmm i'm either that stupid or too tired, i didnt see that sharing thing, or maybe enabling services helped. well anyway i will try that sharing later today, dont feel like walking back and forth fixing it now. thanks for suggestions, and that network setup wizard doesnt really seem to be able to help btw

you only know what you did with services, can't help much on that

about permission mess try these workarounds:
- log on both comps with the same user name and password
- type in a RUN command *\\bandit1\sharedfolder*
- set share permissions to *everyone*/full access (this may be a security hazard though)

at first i'll be doing only read only permission, just in case

Ok, first find the IP address of the other computer on your network. (eg: 192.168.0.3)
Share a drive on the other computer. (eg of share name: C)

Then come back to your box, open Explorer, go to Tools>Map Network Drive and type this in the box:
\\192.168.0.3\C

You should be able to see the network drive like any other drive in Explorer.

Originally posted by mafiafromrussia
at first i'll be doing only read only permission, just in case
this will let you see the share but won't grant you access, permission has to be at least *Modify* to get in.

so with read only i wont even be able to open .txt files? or copy mp3 and movies?

depends...
share permissions get mixed with NTFS permissions

try and see what happens, in case of problems you'll quickly get to the solution
:)

Yeah, give it a try. If you run into any problems, keep us updated.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back