Network usage monitor?

ming

OSNN Advanced
This is probably more to do with software, but we have yet to establish a networking software area for members to post their questions/opinions etc.

Anyway, does anyone know how I can monitor the network usage (includes internet) if I have three separate machines connected to the internet via a router? I don't a server.
Will it still be possible to monitor the bandwidth used?

Networking software is still Windows software (unless its one of the "others"), so it belongs here :)

Also, i want one of these apps. GIMME! :D

Check if your router supports SNMP and if so, enable it. Then you can get a snmp monitor, such as mrtg (on a unix platform), and have it monitor and graph the details.

Weasel said:
Check if your router supports SNMP and if so, enable it. Then you can get a snmp monitor, such as mrtg (on a unix platform), and have it monitor and graph the details.

Duno what you're talking about. :p
No, my netgear router does not have such a function on it. :(

There is no way to really monitor the amount of bandwidth by reading it in the router.

You would need to use something like dumeter and install it on all the PC's and walk from PC to PC and look at the bandwidth used.

ming said:
Duno what you're talking about. :p
No, my netgear router does not have such a function on it. :(
Sorry, I tend to spit out a lot of technical jargon and assume people have the same resources I do. I was trying to explain a method on how to do something similar to my traffic graphs. :)

MRTG would really be the way to go. It doesn't give you real time stats, but it gives you historical stats in minutes and gives you a good gauge on your traffic with pretty graphs. You can probably do this on Windows too as long as it has perl and your router supports SNMP. This is the traffic in my home network one port for the internet, and the other for the local network ...

http://wenberg.homelinux.net/mrtg

For real time stats, I just hop on my Linux box and use software called nload.

@Weasel ... you think you could send me your MRTG cf file to get the other stats on http://hosting.lazy-fox.net/mrtg/ ?

Weasel said:
Sorry, I tend to spit out a lot of technical jargon and assume people have the same resources I do. I was trying to explain a method on how to do something similar to my traffic graphs. :)

Looks interesting. Does it show the bandwidth used? (like how many bytes have been transferred in total)

ming said:
Looks interesting. Does it show the bandwidth used? (like how many bytes have been transferred in total)

No. It shows average over a time period.

@Weasel ... thanks for the CF.

It shows current and maximum as well as an average although I think my placement is currently messed up. The yearly graph is good for calculating a total or a general total but it doesn't give you a total. I have some e-mail server graphs that calculate the amount of bits transfered which could be added up to give a total but that'd be annoying. ;)

Vern, no problem. Have fun making sense of them. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back