Network Trouble

A

acer2k

First of all, I am very new to this, this is the first time I have tried to network 2 pcs. I have an XP pro pc and a WinME pc. They both are connected with ethernet cards. But I dont think Im configuring either of them right because I cant access either computer in the other in My Network Places. When I view the Local Area Connection Status in XP, It just stays 0 packets sent, 0 packets recieved. I havent a clue what to do :p Can anyone PLEASE help me! :) I mainly just want to set these up so I can share files on them and printers.

There is a good how to section on the top portion of the Network & Internet Forum on this web site, go thru that it should answer some of your questions. First thing I would try is check for communications between the two PC, try pinging each workstation by IP address, also try mapping a network drive, right click on my network place-map network drive, type in the computer name you wish to map to\share name, also make sure you have something being shared. Hope this helps.

My XP system, the one im pinging on and the internet host of my want-to-be lan, is ip 169.254.194.61. The other pc (WinME) is 169.254.194.64. Here is my ping results:

C:\Documents and Settings\mhale>ping 169.254.194.61

Pinging 169.254.194.61 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 169.254.194.61: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 169.254.194.61:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\mhale>ping 169.254.194.64

Pinging 169.254.194.64 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 169.254.194.64:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\mhale>

Cables are connected fine and I cannot map the drives to each other.

Run the home and networking wizard on the XP machine and do the same on the Me machine using the application on the XP CD.

If you ran the wizard it should've given you an IP of 192.168.0.1 on your XP box, on your ME box it should've given you and IP of 192.168.0.X with subnet of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.0.1, try those configurations and let us know what happen. Also you could try mapping to the c$ on your XP box from the ME box to see if you are able to connect, goto the run command type \\"XP PC IP Address"\c$ you should be prompted with a user name and password which should be your administrator account or a user with admin rights.

ok,, but for some reason I get the idea that tehre is something wrong with one of my ethernet cards. :( THe lan connection on my XP keeps at 0 packets sent/recieved all the time :(

Are you connected to a hub of some sort also? You cannot just connect the two NIC's together without using a cross over cable. You see ethernet uses specifc wires within the cable to send and recieve.

Also if you want just interconnectivity, you may just want to use NetBui.

In order to connect 2 computers together without a hub or a switch, you need to get crossover cable. Look at the 2 ends of the cat-5 wire you are using now...if they match (ie: if both orange wires are on the right), you have straight wirte...go to a computer store and get yourself X-over cable. After that, just run the network wizard on the server box and there you go. Let us know what happenes.
good luck
-Boots

i have a similar set up. my xp Pro pc and my bros 98se pc are both connected to a hub, which is connected to a cable modem via the uplink port on the hub. both of us have netbeui installed with file and printer sharing bound to it. so we can connect to each others shares localy. also, on my pc (xp pro) i had to create an account for him because, his comupter is also used by my other brother and mom, so it is using profiles. he logs on with an account, when he connects to my pc he is connecting with that account name. therefore that account has to also exist on my pc.

hope this helps.
oDin.

my pcs do not have a hub and are connected via a cable tv-like wire...

Check termination

hi,
I connect my pc with coxial cable too..do u have terminal impedence? You need two terminal inpedence of 50ohm and 2"T" conncetor. At the begin of first T (first network card) u need the first impedence then you can use cable (i use RG-58) to connect the other network card.At the other side of connetor (second network card) u must place the second impedence.
So it must be:

50ohm-->T connector-->cable<--T conncetor<--50ohm
| |
first card second card

I hope u can understand.
Sorry for my english.
Scomodo

You should consider upgrading your network by loosing the coaxial cable, and buy a twisted pare cable instead. It shouldn't cost more than a maximum of $20. The best thing is a hub, but then the cost get's higher.
Also, I've encountered some problems with users that have sum sort of internet connection where they connect to a domain. In that case, you have to turn off the domain connection, otherwise you can't find eachother on the lan.
Good luck!

using coax eh. then things get more complicated. do you have a terminator on both ends of the connection?? also try manualy assigning ips to each of the computer xp=>192.168.1.100 me=>192.168.1.200 with

like diadara says it might be worth ur while to upgrade to a twisted par network. useing cat 5 cabeling and a hub. will make the hole process a lot easier. but, it will also cost you around $150 for a couple of network cards with rj45 ports and a hub and cabeling.

oDin

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back