network traffic monitor

LordOfLA

Godlike!
Hey!

Anyone know of anything I can drop on a linux/bsd box that will listen in promiscuous mode and tell me where all my bandwidth is going?

I seem to be leaking bandwidth and need to find out where to and why.

ntop

Last edited:
Or if you need something that is on the command line: iftop.

just something that will give me a web-based overview of which of my machines is shifting what traffic to where.

I have a 12/2mbit dsl connection and my switch was going nuts yesterday. Since I use bridged DSL all the modem tells me is that I'm pushing traffic which I already know :)

Ntop has a web interface which will show you the traffic it sees..

this is assuming you can set your switch up with a span/mirror port for whatever utility you use to see all the traffic.

Or you can put a bridged machine in the middle and give the bridge no IP addresses, have it just shift traffic.

I still have the pfsense machine here. Trouble is it kills the voip phone on my desk that I use for work. I could fart about with that over the weekend and see if I can't stop leaking bandwidth everywhere.

randomly drops the connection. - the phone will think its still connected, but the phone server won't be able to communicate with it. Thats with an any to any mapping for the phones public IP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back