Network speed problem.... need help

P

psx2000

Ok in hawaii I had Cable service for internet use.

My max download speed could never go past 300KBS. If I made 2 downloads from a T-1 it would just split in half.

Now I figured it was just hawaii so when I moved to Southern California ( Chino Hills area) I attempted again to get Broad Band cable service.

I choose ADELPHIA and noticed the exact same problem. The max download I have is 300kbs.

I called my provider up asking if there is anything I can do about it and they said that maybe network traffic etc.... . To me personally I doubt this because its rather odd its like that 24/7 here and in Hawaii.

Now on to my question...

My friend thinks because I have NORTON FIREWALL 2003 and SYSTEM WORKS 2003 that one of my settings might have capped out my connections allowed or max bandwidth .

Could that be possible? If so where would I look to solve this problem? Any other things I can check to help solve this band width issue?

You cable provider caps your max download speed. If you download 2 things at once you will not go over 300Kbps. If you download 4 things at once I am sure that you will only get 75Kbps for each. It is like that with almost every provider. The only way to get faster speeds is by buying a pro service of some kind, if they offer it. Sorry bud.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
You cable provider caps your max download speed. If you download 2 things at once you will not go over 300Kbps. If you download 4 things at once I am sure that you will only get 75Kbps for each. It is like that with almost every provider. The only way to get faster speeds is by buying a pro service of some kind, if they offer it. Sorry bud.

here is the funny thing

I also have DSL buisnuess service

I pay $80 a month for this.

my Dl is supposed to be 1.5 down and upload is 365 or something.

The most I ever get on downloads is around 180 KBS and uploads around 20 kbs.

Anyone know how much a T-1 provider goes for if the speed is really important to me? I live in the SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA area now. So I am willing to pay $ for a T-1 if anyone can recomend me one.

I used Norton nternet eSecurity 2003 and noticed a speed decrease. I believe that it acts like a proxy server, monitoring incoming and outgoing traffic andmaybe be the cause.

Originally posted by psx2000
my Dl is supposed to be 1.5 down and upload is 365 or something.

The most I ever get on downloads is around 180 KBS and uploads around 20 kbs.
Sounds to me like you're confusing bits and bytes. The specification for your connection is 1.5 Mbit/s down, 384 kbit/s up. That will enable you to download in 1500/8 ~= 190 kbyte/s. So 180 kbyte/s is pretty good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back