Network Share question

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
If you goto a network share that has 1000 files.. the flashlight will come up and search and search till it gets them all then the folder will show all the files at once.... Now if you took all those files and moved them into say 10 folders. This would cause explorer to load that much faster and you may not see the flashliight at all. Am i correct in this theory or incorrect?

In my experience it's party contigent on the network traffic at the time you are browsing that shared folder. I often view 100+ file network shares without any flashlight, and then other times it does take 5-10 seconds to display it all. Your theory (fewer folders) sounds reasonable, but I don't know whether it's 100% correct.

The reason i ask is because at my job there is 900 something files in a network share. When the user navigates to it, it takes like 4 mins to load. So i started organizing the files into folders, as i believe this will speed up the search. I started it then had to leave so i opened a help desk ticket stating what i did. I was then told i am incorrect and to close the ticket.

Well, I don't think it's organized at all to have that many files on the top level of a shared directory. That makes things pretty difficult, and I would side with your case that Explorer is reading all of those files to display the contents of the folder. Who said you were incorrect, and what was that person's explanation for it?

a more senior tech said he doesnt believe i am right..he said network shares arent meant to be viewed over a WAN... but this share is used over a WAN and the users have to access so that is irelavent. he gave no explination to why he thinks im wrong..
i say.. oh well not my network :) i do only as im told.

hehe dont you just love that happens to me everyonce in awhile.. you learn to bypass that person next time if you can lol. 900 files on one share has to take longer just from the organization point of putting them in folders it makes sense lol.

Network shares aren't meant to be viewed over a WAN? Why the heck not? That's idiotic coming from a "senior tech." If there was some type of hierarchical organization of the share then that would make much more sense.

If he's saying that because the bandwidth isn't 100Mbps on a WAN connection, so what? That still doesn't mean that network shares aren't meant to be viewed over a WAN. :rolleyes:

In general organising a network share will speed things up. I recently found out a program on one of our servers was producing a log file for each operation and dumping them all in one directory. Trying to open it for the first time wasn't happening in windows, so I set up a batch files to dump them all into folders by date. Getting at the files then was easy.

I don't know the details, but the more files in a folder the larger the amount of data that will have to be transferred. Obviously a list of 20 folders is going to be smaller than a list of 900 files, and take less bandwidth to transfer.

Sounds like you have a lazy senior tech who doesn't want the hassle of organising the files! :D

Nick said:
the more files in a folder the larger the amount of data that will have to be transferred. Obviously a list of 20 folders is going to be smaller than a list of 900 files, and take less bandwidth to transfer.
Also keep in mind the view you use. If you view a folder in Icons or List it will load faster than when you view it in Details or Thumbnails.

Nick said:
Sounds like you have a lazy senior tech who doesn't want the hassle of organising the files! :D

Whats funny is i was going to do the reorganization :)

Oh well. I closed the ticket. The lady said to me today how come the ticket got closed. I said because apparently im wrong. She was like well the folder already loads faster with the minimal reorganization you did already. Im like well i know im not wrong, but im told im wrong so i had to close the case.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back