Network Setup Help

synical33

X2 & Lovin' It
Hello all, I have a burning question in regards to network and the setup of one. Well I have had this setup for the longest time and its very simple. Its just a 4-Port Router and 3 computer are on it with Internet Access. Now I am introducing a Wireless Router (LinkSys WRT54G) into the mix. So i have it connected to the Router that was on the existing network. Well since the Wireless Router has a 4-Port Router/Switch and on one of those ports is a computer hooked up to it but the problem is how do I go about accessing that computer that is wired and I should have mentioned that this is a two part question because the Wireless part is not working.

I am not quite sure what is going on with the Wireless end but everytime I attempt to have a computer access the Wireless end of the Router it does not assign any IP's to the Wireless Clients. It always gives me a Limited or No Connectivity Error message. I have attempted the whole SP2 fix on it with the RegEdit file and have also gotten the patch from M$ and with no avail it did nothing to soultionize my problem.

If anyone has any insight that they can share with me or any suggestions, help, or advice i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

• Dont use the WAN/Internet port on the wireless router, use the uplink (or standard port if it has auto detect for uplink).
  • Connect the wireless router to a wired computer, access it's config page and change it's IP addess to the same format as the existing router (EX: If existing is 192.168.0.1, use 192.168.0.2) and also change the password (defaults are not a good idea).
  • Disable DHCP on the wireless router.
  • Enable wireless, set SSID and enable WEP.
  • Setup clients with the SSID and WEP.
  • That sould be all.

Admiral Michael said:
  • Dont use the WAN/Internet port on the wireless router, use the uplink (or standard port if it has auto detect for uplink).
  • Connect the wireless router to a wired computer, access it's config page and change it's IP addess to the same format as the existing router (EX: If existing is 192.168.0.1, use 192.168.0.2) and also change the password (defaults are not a good idea).
  • Disable DHCP on the wireless router.
  • Enable wireless, set SSID and enable WEP.
  • Setup clients with the SSID and WEP.
  • That sould be all.

Ok will do Admiral I will let you guys know what happens thanx alot

Hey Admiral all my Wireless Clients still cannot connect to the Internet and I have gone by your steps and to no avail yet nothing. Its as if the Wireless Router cannot give out IP's to the wireless clients in order for them to connect to the net. I forgot to mention that the Internet hookup is hooked up to the Dlink Router (4-port router w/ 3 computers on it). So I have perfectly executed the first three steps of your list there but the next few will not work for me. Is there anything else I should do? Should I clarify and give more insight about my network? What can I do from this point on? Thanks a lot Admiral....!

Im almost certain the physical setup is correct, it seems to be a configuration problem in terms of the wireless.

ok a little more emphasis on my network

Main Router (Old Router which has the Cable Modem Hook up to it) the model is a D-Link 604P. THere are two computers hooked up to it and the Wireless Router is also hooked up to it.

Wireless Router is a Linksys WRT54G and it has one computer hooked up to it I have changed the IP Addy to it to something else. I have also disabled the DHCP function on it and WEP is active along with four keys generated for it.

Anything else please let me know it is still not working. Could it be that im using a USB B Adapter and its the Adapter causing the problem or something that I setup within the Router Configs? I ordered some memory for my third system which is going to have a PCI Wireless Adapter for the Wireless Router and its a G so I will test with that too. Thanks for your help guys.......!

Just to get the wireless up and running. Disable all of the encryption, change the security setting from WEP to None.

And make sure SSID is ON.

Then once you get it up and running start adding the security back in one item at a time.

LeeJend said:
Just to get the wireless up and running. Disable all of the encryption, change the security setting from WEP to None.

And make sure SSID is ON.

Then once you get it up and running start adding the security back in one item at a time.

^^ try that

Have you looked for updated drivers on the manufacturer's website?

ok kool that worked but i still need to see if i can setup up WEP right after. I will do that when i get out of work today. Thanks a lot guys this is one of the main reasons why I enjoy coming to these forums, fast responses and a lot of helpful people. Seriously guys I appreciate all your help thank you very much.

hmm well you asked for it but that is just plain easy but nonetheless you guys deserve it so here it comes gentlemen. By the way it still aint working. I attempted to run it without the WEP and then attempted to enable it right after. Then nothing it connected fine without asking me for a key. Hmmm im beginning to wonder. I will keep on trying please keep the information coming guys. Thanks

EDIT: Ok I have just tested it yet again. I have followed your steps as far as the disabling of WEP or WPA and then enabling everything is else one by one. But what happens is the first thing i enable is WEP. When i first did it this is how i went about it:
I hooked up my Wireless USB Adapter onto a USB port, at this point WEP was disabled, which caused everything to go through just fine. Now I kept the USB Adapter on while I enabled WEP, I then disconnected it, refreshed the network list and reconnected, it asked me for a key so i COPY PASTED one onto the prompt and it went through within 15 seconds. Now I then disconnected the USB Adapter and attempted to connect again by refreshing the list and putting the network key again, but this time it took a while to connect which raised my red flag letting me know that i was going to get the LIMITED or NO CONNECTIVITY error. I dont know guys​

Like i said im not sure what is up but my guess is mabe cause its a B? Maybe not but im going to continually test this out until i get it right. My next stop would be a firmware upgrade perhaps. I'll keep that one for a last ditch. Let me know if there is anything you guys can help me more with. Thanks

Last edited:
Hmm....

What USB adapter (make and model) are you using? And are you using the windows to manage the wireless?

Wireless Adpater make and model specs are as follow Linksys WUSB12

Yes i am using Windows to manage the Wireless

use the WPA setting and dont worry about the WEP, WPA is a much more robust security than WEP

I would still try the Linksys software, I know for my Intel card I need Proset otherwise it refuses to connect to my wifi.

ok well i finally got it working today but it will only work for the G Clients no B clients will be able to handle the WPA Security. So I guess there is no other choice than that. It works perfect with my G Client computer I have setup in the Garage but I would like it to be working for both clients. I am still not sure what is causing the problem when i setup WEP encryption. I have noticed that if I attempt to setup the B Client with WPA it is not possible so I believe i'll have to stay on that configuration right? Unless there is still something I can pull off or get help with? I believe you guys have a clear idea of my network, right? If not please help me with getting both my clients to run of the Wireless Router!?!?!?! Thanks once again guys. More Rep points coming your way fellas.

Right, I don't think B supports WPA, it's part of the G standard so the B computer won't eb able to access a WPA setup router.

I'd recommend picking up a G adapter for $10-15 on sale this weekend. Better signal strength, faster connection, and better encryption protocol.

Plan B is to go back and try and get the WEP running. But that sounds too much like work for a holiday weekend.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back