network send recieve constant

D

deathy

My network keeps sending and reciving packets

i found that if i did either of these things it stopped but then it ment that i couldnt use the net till i restarted then it starts all over again

the first thing i did was disconnected and stoped sending and reciving

the other thing i did was ctrl+alt+del to see what processess was running i clicked on one of the svchost.exe and killed it and that stopped it to but it would no longer connect to the internet or use themes till i restarted.

i tried reinstalling xp over the top but made no diff does any one have any ideas as to why this is doing this to my machine.

thanx deathy

There is always data flowing around the network, what type of network is it..winxp could just be checking for scheduled takss on the other comps, if it's a cable modem there are always some multicast packets being thrown out, just get a firewall and as long as the network traffic is just small stuff your fine.

There's all sorts of things like broadcasts for shares, xp auto-updates, time-sync that try to use the network.
It's fairly normal.
What is your % of load under device manager/network?

but the thing is it is constant it is the only computer in the house that does it apart from the server wish is basicaly talking to it.

it never used to do it before and i have uninstalled everything
editited the reg, reinstalled over the top and still nothing

any one have any ideas???

Yes, if it doesn't affect performance (like hogging the CPU or slowing the network considerably) don't bother.

Maybe it's something in the server?

well my pc has started slowing doing a bit and my led for the hdd keeps blinking :(

also keeps talking to internet every 5 seconds my mums machine does that like every 10 mins plus with no network lights blinking???

In that casae, I would recommend a format and fresh install. Be careful with what you put on the system.

i found the problem

i went start, run typed msconfig

went to services and worked throught the list turned out it was some service called

SSDP Discovery Service which seems to be summit to do with being able to see the icon for the internet connection which im not to botherd about

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back