Network router

Y

yellowvw99

Ive been using a network hub to split my cable modem line. However, I need to leave on my computer so others in the house can use the internet. I would like to know if a router/switch would split the line, which would let me leave just the cable modem on. Then anyone could get on the internet without my computer being turned on.

Thanks

Jeff

you're saying that if you turn your comp off, the others in the house lose their internet connection?

btw, do you have any pics of your car? gti, i assume? :D

Yes, I'm using a Netgear ethernet hub. So when i shut down my computer the internet won't work on the others. I think because I'm using mine as a server. All I want to do is split the cable modem line so the other computers can get to the internet without having a computer, just the cable box.

Sorry, had to sell the car,(wish I didn't)

Can you recomend any descent routers (D-link/Netgear/etc)

It looks like you've assigned one computer as an ICS host and are using the hub to connect each computer as a ICS client.
If you want each computer to be completely independent of the others when it comes to using the internet, yes, you need a router.
D-Link, Linksys, Siemens and Netgear make some good home-use routers that aren't very expensive either.

Whats the difference between a router and an switch? I'm working with a friend who needs to split their cable line so both can get on the net. We bought a D-Link Dss-5+ to hook up 2 computers. The one computer works downstairs to one up won't. The NIC card is showing activity (lights flashing) but won't pick up the net. Is this the right item to use, or should I get a router. I thought a switch and a router were to same.

Thanks
Jeff

Even with a switch, you'd still need to enable ICS on one computer which will serve as a host. This computer will have to remain on always, and all other computers will be ICS clients.
As I said, you would need a router if you want to share the cable connection without leaving any computer on all the time. With a router, the computers are completely independent of each other for the internet connection. The router established the connection to your ISP, and the built-in DHCP server assigns unique internal IP addresses to each computer on the network. So each computer can use the internet connection without depending on any other computer on the network. :)

Thanks alot. This helps me understand how this **** works. I've been using a hub to link between 3 and 4 computers, but one always had to be on. Which was my main computer, and it started crashing all the time. Now we just share the line. Now I need to find a cheap router. Maybe on e-bay.

Thanks again
Jeff

I recommend the D-Link 604. It's cheap and very good.

Now for the tech lesson. :)

Hub: Dumb splitter device. All data is sent out on all ports.
Switch: Slightly smarter. Only sends data to the correct port.
Router: Masks the internal network from the outside and enables several computers to share on external IP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back