Network relay

zapoqx

Striking Master
I want to know... is it possible to connect my computer to my laptop so my internet can be routed from my laptop and shared between them? I can't use an internet modem in my room and I want to connect to my wireless that is setup in another room through my laptop to the computer. Is it possible and how?

Why make it so difficult, if you have a wireless router in the other room, just install a wireless card in the laptop?

Yep, I agree with j79zlr with the router option. saves you a big headache.

Maybe I made it sound confusing...
My laptop has the internet. My computer doesn't because the cables are in the other room since my sister needs the internet and until the wireless card comes in for her system, I want to somehow connect my computer to my laptop so that my COMPUTER has the internet. Better diagram:

Internet {----} Laptop {----} Computer

Internet Connection Sharing?

ya. How though? I don't have a spare router. As it is, my internet is like this:

Internet {----} 4-port router (In other room) {----} Wi-Fi Router (In other room) {----} Laptop

I was thinking using a LAN to LAN port connection from computer to Laptop.

ya. How though? I don't have a spare router. As it is, my internet is like this:

Internet {----} 4-port router (In other room) {----} Wi-Fi Router (In other room) {----} Laptop

I was thinking using a LAN to LAN port connection from computer to Laptop.

So are you saying that the router/wireless router(s) are in a totally different part of the house to where you computers are located?
Yes, you can connect using LAN to LAN and enabling Internet Connection Sharing, but it's much easier just connecting the computers directly into the router... if it's near the router.

yeh you need to run the network wizard and select
This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers on my network connect to the Internet through this computer.

once that is setup on the laptop you should be able to use a network cable between them.

if may have to be a crossover cable with it being pc to pc, i am unsure.

Can't you just kick your sister out of her room and take her room yourself?

So are you saying that the router/wireless router(s) are in a totally different part of the house to where you computers are located?
Yes, you can connect using LAN to LAN and enabling Internet Connection Sharing, but it's much easier just connecting the computers directly into the router... if it's near the router.
Right... ok. Ya... it would be easier... but she wanted her own room and I wanted my own room. Therefor, we have computers in seperate rooms. She wants internet and she and my father forgot to mention that there is wi-fi nic handy. So what was I left with? Its a slightly down system, but I need it for knowing a few things (programs, anti-virus updating, etc).
Can't you just kick your sister out of her room and take her room yourself?
No. Refer to above.
yeh you need to run the network wizard and select
This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers on my network connect to the Internet through this computer.

once that is setup on the laptop you should be able to use a network cable between them.

if may have to be a crossover cable with it being pc to pc, i am unsure.
Ok. That is the kind of help I needed. Thanks. I'll be sure to do that. I'll also check to make sure if a crossover cable is needed or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back