Network Profiles?

saeltmarae2k

OSNN Addict
Hey guys,

How can I set up "network profiles" in XP Pro? Essentially, I need network access in several non-DHCP locations, and it would be nice to have some sort of icon to click to automatically change my settings (IP, SN, GW, DNS1, DNS2) for a particular location.

Thanks in advance!

Not really so much network profiles, but you could do "alternate configurations" for network cards, you can store additional information and have it switch depending on location.

Yeah - like KC says it depends on having more than one hardware network port I think.... There are hardware profiles, but I am not sure they are relevant here... I am guessing this is on a laptop with built in wireless maybe? If expense were no object maybe you could have separate PCI cards and configure each one for separate locations - I have to say that is highly speculative of me though and there's a pretty high chance settings would "fight" with one another, making the whole thing more of a pain than a help....

As a lateral thought could you not employ some sort of scripting tool to automate the configuration? Not sure if there are commands for this that could be batched (ipconfig?) but if there are then I should think that is the WTG...

You could script the changes, but each individual network device can also handle two different static configurations.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back