Network Problem

J

jason2slow

ok i have a linksys router and a cable modem, i don't know much about networking so i don't really know what to do except for plugging the cables to where their supposed to go. I only want to hook up 2 computers, (one is a WIN XP PRO, the other is WIN XP HOME). So yea if anyone could tell me what to do to set it up so both can go on the internet i would appericiate it.

Thanks

ok i think i got it, but when the internet connection sharing icon comes up, it won't let me enable it, any ideas?

You do not need ICS with a router, the router is the gateway, if you enable ICS you are in essence making your computer the gateway.

There should be little to nothing to do to get Internet Access, so go into the LAN properties and make sure that the PC is set to recieve IP and DNS automatically.

To share files make sure that Client for MS networks and File and Printer sharing is checked. Make sure that Server, DHCP Client, and Workstation services are set to automatic. Make sure the XP firewall is disabled. XP Home has NO security sharing files, so all that has to be done to share them is to right-click and share. Make suer the 2 PC's are in the same workgroup and that each has a unique name.

hmmm so in the linksys configuration i should put a check next to gateway or router when it asks how do you want it to function?

It should be set as a gateway by default.

ok i set them on the same workgroup, with unique names, but then i see the internet gateway and it won't let me enable the internet connection, if i try to enable it, it stays disabled

i just tried to connect the win xp pro directly to the cable modem, and there is no internet, but when i connect the win xp home directly to the modem, i get internet...anyone know anything about this?

yes when i check my router configuration, under DHCP clients table, it shows both computers

but when i check under my network places and looked at the workgroup i could not see the other computer, what does this mean?

It's amazing how messy it gets when you try to use windows...

This is how I installed my linksys with 3 computers:

Plug modem into cable, plug router into modem, (assuming you have a 4 port linksys) plug computer(s) into the router ethernet connections.

Turn on the modem/router (If you have messed with the router settings push the little recessed reset button on the case.)
and then the computers. (I leave my modem/router up all the time so I don't have to worry about the sequence.)

Open internet explorer and click tools, internet options, connections, lan settings, then check the "automatically detect button".

That's all I had to do. Similar process to set up email accounts.

Now if you want to start sharing files that's a whole nother thread.

If you want to play games that can get messy for some games, trivial for others. Thats another thread too.

but thats what i did....:( and still no internet on either of them. maybe its the settings on them? anyone know the settings they should be on? and which computer should be the starting point the router's config?

very weird...i reconnected everything in the order you said to, and everything just started to work:D thanks to everyone who helped out i thank you a lot

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back