Network Message

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
Hey all,

I was curiuos is this could be done, either thru windows or a third party app.

My server runs Windows 2003 Standard Server and I would like it to send out a message to unknown computers that the traffic may be monitored. Like a net send message or something.

Is this possible? (My school has it with a domain, I dont want a domain)

Thanks in advance
Mike

Ok, let me explain a little further then. My '03 box is my network's DHCP server. What I'd like to do is create a list of known computers (my LAN computer). Then when a unknown computer, such as a friend's laptop is connected to the network, the server will automatically send a message (net send) to that user.

A program called AirSnare has such a feature but for some reason doesnt send the messages.

Hope that helps more.

Wouldn't an XP SP2 computer with the firewall on (or any XP with firewall for that matter) block these messages by default?

HMMmmmmm - goes to try messaging across his desktop to the other screen...... testing Zedrics assertion.....

well - I had internet connection sharing stopped anf firewall down and stil lno message came - although the Net Send said it was sent to the domain OK - then again I am using workgroups not domains - maybe that is part of Admirals request?

anyway, there was no message coming on the other machine - without firewall even - with firewall I seem to have lost connection to my Exchange server so off to stop that service again now!

I tried it here from server to desktop and it works. Desktop is XP Pro SP2 with the firewall enabled.

AirSnare wont let me click automatically send message, it I do it manually it works.

A netsend wouldnt be your best bet anyway Mike. If they had their machine Like I do mine, I have my Messenger turned off. It would be better to have a banner displayed prior to the login screen. There is a program, the name escapes me. I will check and get back to you on this... I hope you get it working.. once you do, it would be cool for you to give us the name so we can try and log-in and see it!

Admiral, this link may assist you in setting this logon message up. It explains some of the options you can set at logon. Not sure if it's the 'jackpot' you are looking for... yet. Still researching this one.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...2003/all/techref/en-us/w2k3tr_intlg_tools.asp

mlakrid said:
A netsend wouldnt be your best bet anyway Mike. If they had their machine Like I do mine, I have my Messenger turned off. It would be better to have a banner displayed prior to the login screen. There is a program, the name escapes me. I will check and get back to you on this... I hope you get it working.. once you do, it would be cool for you to give us the name so we can try and log-in and see it!

Net send uses the messenger service as mlakrid stated.
Mainframe: If you enable the service (the old exploit has been patched) you should be able to net send again.

banner displayed prior to login screen is done locally (I've posted the link again, below) --- there's a program that would launch it prior to login screen?
That's real cool if you can find it...

Perhaps you could put that login message on the server (using steps in link) however it would display it for everyone logging in.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kb...ingMessage.html

Mastershakes said:
Perhaps you could put that login message on the server (using steps in link) however it would display it for everyone logging in.

Oh, Yea Sorry, it does do that.... it displays a message for everyone not just unauthenticated users.... sorry" :cry:

Now I got to go back to the drawing board...

I dont really mean login to the network I just mean physically connect to the LAN.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back