network is very sloooow

C

cspm2003

I got my network all setup, 1 server, 6 clients, and in the beginning everything was really good. But since today everything is just slow. It takes like 5 minutes till the contents of my mapped network drive on the server get displayed, and datatransfer is very slow to.

someone knows why tbe network would slow down that much, or how I can tweak it?? thx

Make sure that all unnecissary protocols (NetBEUI, IPX/SPX, NWLink,etc) are uninstalled

Uninstall or disable QoS packet scheduler, your server may run QoS software that is throttling connections.

Check physical layer (good quality cables, hub/switch working proplerly, etc)

Check NIC drivers, get the latest one from the manufactuerer

Blah Blah Blah...

The problem isnt all that specific, so there isnt any one sure-fire solution. Try all the above.

ok, thx. I'll try it.
Here is what I was thinking about: I am running Norton AV Corp. Server on the server, and all the other PCs use Norton AV Corp Client and are managed by the server. Could this slow it down alot??

Probably not. I have a network for a school i admin running ~30 clients with Norton Corp w/ server on 10mbit Hubs and it runs fine.

JJB

ok, thx. I was about to get rid of the hole AV system.

Everything seems to be working fine if I restart the clients, but only for about 30mins, then it gets slow again

Any chance you picked up the blaster worm? Worm activity would slow the network down and antivirus will not prevent it.

Check for the worm detector download. Most AV sites have it and I think M$ even has it posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back