Network crash

N

Nickp

I've got a dead simple network set-up, 2 XP Pro machines with netgear FA311 NICS connected via a Netgear DS104 hub, Internet connection being shared from my computer to my housemates computer. Everything working perfectly until it died with no explanation.

The machines can't ping each other, can't see each other etc - no settings were changed. When it happened my machine was playing music from my housemates HD, when the connection just dropped. I've tried running through network setup wizard off the XP CD again, didn't help. Tried going back through a few system restore points but still no help. Tried pulling the NIC out of my machine and then reinstalling it but still no luck.

If I try and disable the connection it tells me

"It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. The connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account."

The only protocols on the network are TCP/IP, NWlink IPX (for games) and NWlink Netbios. It was quite happy to disable the network before.

I'm kinda at a loss to see what the problem could be, anyone heard of anything like this before?

Ok the first thing you want to do is ensure that the NIC's are setup right. goto the comand prompt and ping your loopback address on each machine (127.0.0.1) if that works then try pinging the machine own IP. if this dosent work on either system tryin removing the network drivers/protocols rebooting and then reinstalling them. you may also want to try new cables.

The post said I've already tried re-installing everything, and the setup is fine as the setup wasn't changed when the network fell over.

Cables are fine as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back