Network Card Problem

E

Elux

I have been experiencing a slow boot up on XP Pro ... 28sec from startup to desktop display, but then a further 78sec before I can run any programs.

I have narrowed it down to the network card, if I disable it in device manager the system is usable after 28 sec.

What appears to be happening is that with Network card enabled the services are taking longer to start running any suggestions would be appreciated.

Failing that does anyone know of any program that will log events from boot up to the system becoming usable with time taken for each operation?

Thanks ... Elux

If your system takes that long with the network card it can only be the DHCP-server.

got a NIC in this machine now... no speed problems but the 98 machine which has a nic takes a 30sec break while booting win98 (98 startup screen)
Remove drivers and its fine

I'd suggest removing the drivers and rebooting so XP can pick it up again. Sometimes boot-up sequences get hammered and a re-install can fix it.

Removed drivers and rebooted as suggested XP re-installed them but the problem still exists.

I am using a TRUST X4 network kit comprising of a PCI server card with a built in 4 port hub this is fitted at PCI Slot 2 on this m/c which is running XP Pro , I assume that this makes it the DHCP-Server.

The rest of the kit comprises 3 network cards + cables one of these cards is installed in my other PC running ME, there are no startup problems on this PC.

I have not cabled the two PCs together, nor have I set up the networking software on the PCs.

I have checked on the manufacturers site and according to them the XP included driver is ok > "Realtek RTL8029(AS)-Based Ethrtnet Adapter (Generic)"

Thanks for your help .... Elux

Slow Networking Boot up

I have the same problem with the long wait for boot up.

I have two PCs, both running Windows XP, networked together with a Ethernet Cross-over cable, NIC cards and Sygate Home Networking software.

It takes a very long time to for the network to reconfigure on the main computer upon boot up, probably two minutes. Any suggestions on how to speed it up?

Oh, well that's it. Your machine is busy allocating resourses. You can try putting in one of your other NIC's just for comparison purposes, but i don't think your going to cure the long boot with all those ports initializing. Is there any way, via jumpers on the board, to disable the ports you don't have a need for?

rodneyck. I think you could eliminate part of that time getting rid of third party software. Why sygate?

Lonman, I initially tried the same setup using Windows XPs built in internal networking setup but experienced very slow internet connections speeds on the second comuter.

Infact, on the second computer, I could not even access some webpages, such as real.com and others. Weird. So then I tried the new Sygate Home Networking for XP (used it when I had Windows ME) and WOW, what a difference. The internet connections on both computers were lightening fast, a big difference. I don't know why their setup is faster then Windows XPs. I have seen numerous postings on forums here and other places stating the same problem with Windows XPs networking slow down, maybe a bug.

Any thoughts?

I can only suggest reading M'softs articles on home-networking and ICS. There's a lot of tips and settings that need to be done that aren't "default" for these setups. If you're happy with the end result of what you have then i'd leave well enough alone. A little extra boot time is really nothing compared to speed and/or ease of use.

Lonman

The way I understand it the only difference between a internal and a external hub is that the internal takes its power from the PC.

The only resorces that need to be allocated for the NIC/Hub combo are for the server card in this case a 10Mb NIC.

This NIC is internally connected to the hub all the hub does is mirror the data on all the ports to be accessed by whichever peripheral requested it and doesn't require either drivers or resources.

If that isn't case I would appreciate a brief explaination as to how it works.

Will try as was previously suggested taking out the NIC/Hub combo and put a 100Mb NIC in its place, need to get a X-over cable tomorrow.

By the way I have the network set up and running fine, apart from the above.

Thanks again for your help. ... Elux

Rodneyck,

I found that if I map the network and select reconnect at logon the server hangs at the WELCOME screen for about 2mins so I have removed mapping it's easy enough to access through Network on the Desktop.

Back to the NIC slowing XP boot up...

...this is back to what Elux originally wrote.

I have the same exact problem. I found that my Ethernet card adds extra minute to boot up time with XP (bringing total boot up time to something like a minute and a half)... but once I disable it, I'm ready to go in about 30 seconds. Reinstalling and installing drivers for it does not do anything... the posts here kinda ended up discussing home networking, but it doesn't help me since I simply have one computer connected to DSL. So if anybody know some kinda work around with this NIC slowing the boot up process please post it. Thanx.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back