network cable length?

Kush

High On Life!
is the maximum length for a network cable 100 meters without having a switch in between and another wire?

Look at it as if the network signal runs out of gas after 100 meters, yea, you can push it if your good - but usually it conks out at less than 100 meters. (If you want to go farther, use fiber or 10-Base 2 (coax).

you could use a repeater or a switch before the 100M to elp bost the signal, but be careful you could also boost the noise too.

what about wifi? cuz the thing is two people on my compound live like maybe 200 meters away or 300 and they wanna get adsl and share it. well wifi would not reach right? since its not far reaching and through walls. is there anything else we could do?

For wifi get an antenna, it allows the signal to reach a maximum distance of around 5km. This, however, is the approximate distance between two points that are in direct line of sight. i.e. no obstacles in between them like a wall.

As for network cable, I'm not too sure which type of cable you are talking about since there are a number of different network cables you could use.

Here are the numbers for 100 Mhz ethernet:
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/cablng.htm
One interesting note. The max length is set by the protocal timing, not the cable quality. But make sure you use Cat 5 cable or you won't even get the 100 meters due to noise.

For 10mhz can go much longer if you have coax connectors on your cards and can afford the coax:
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/maximum-cable-length.asp
You can use Cat 3 cable for this but why bother. I see Cat 5 selling cheaper than Cat 3 now.

There are "long range" wifi equipment available but they are intended for commercial applications and are priced accordingly.

ok is this the this a solution to it? the wifi antenna?
http://www.cantenna.com/diagram.html
its called the cantenna and would that cover like 300 meters or somthing if both pcs have a cantenna? if not what cheap like home user type antennas can i get?

ok so what i need is a wireess router for the pcs with the dsl and the cantenna , and for the remote pc is a wireless access point and the cantenna?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back