Network Cable Continuity???

Black_Pride

OSNN Addict
Hello:
At my business we have a small 8 pc network.

We have a "phone room" where all the wires run from each office. The entire office was pre-wired for a network with wires and outlets in every room. There is an 8 port network "patch panel" in there. However, we have only been using 4 of the ports for our LAN.

Everything has been great with our 4 PC LAN......BUT......we now want to use the remaining 4 ports on the patch panel that are already run to the other 4 offices and all the cables seem to have been correctly installed together. But when we tried to add 4 new PC's in the other 4 offices, no lights came on our hub or the NIC of any of the new computers.....Whats going on?? The wires are there and it seems they were all run at the same time!!

We know these PC's work we have tried them all before and they all function correctly.

My question #1: I have come to the conclusion that it must be the wires though I think it is unlikely....am I wrong??

My Question #2: Is there any way to test these wires or to make sure they are run correctly or not damaged? It is very strange that 4 office's wires work fine and 4 dont.....do we have to re-run these wires?? How do you test for continuity?

Help.....everyone in my office is looking at me for the answers and I am dumbfounded.....I really dont want to have to re-wire these offices.

Any help is greatly appreciated... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well there are handheld cable testers you can buy to tell whether wires are in the correcr order or not. Also check that your patch cables (from the panel/wall jack to the hub/workstaition) are straight-through, not crossover.

JJB6486

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back