Network AND Workgroup

rsf3535

OSNN Newbie
I use my laptop to connect to a network at work and I'd also like to use it to connect to a workgroup (3 PCs) at home. I'm running XP. Is it possible to configure the laptop to easily log on to either?

Thanks,
Bob

rsf3535 said:
I use my laptop to connect to a network at work and I'd also like to use it to connect to a workgroup (3 PCs) at home. I'm running XP. Is it possible to configure the laptop to easily log on to either?

Thanks,
Bob

Sure, do you use a domain at work? If so, that would be easy. All you would have to do is create a local account on your laptop so you could logon without the domain, and into your workgroup. Please provide more information, such as your Operating System, Current Network Setup at home, and if you use a Domain at work

Thanks for the reply . . .

My operating system is "windows XP" . . .

My laptop is currently configured for work: when I go to "System properties" and "computer name" tab, I see the computer name and the domain. When I log on, I see my user name, password, and "log on to:" (which is the network name, and cannot be edited). I have created a location profile (using IBM access connection) for home to attempt to configure it for home. It seems to see my home network (when I open the wireless connection status at home, I see signal strength, speed, Ip address, etc.), but I cannot connect to any of my home computers or printers (does not appear to see my home workgroup)

My home commputers are all connected via a wireless router. Some of the drives and all of the printers are shared. When I go to "System properties" and "computer name" tab on any of my home computers, I see the computer name and the workgroup name.

I'm not sure how to create a local account. I'm concerned that if I change the domain name to a workgroup, that I will mess up my connection at work.

Thanks,
Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back