Netgear router dropping net connection

D

Daviepants

Every so often when I use my computer, I have my cable connection shared over a Netgear MR814 Wireless router. My computer is wired to it. Occasionally, the internet connection to my computer stops suddenly without warning. I have to unplug the power and replug it for the internet connection to work again. Is there any way to prevent this? It's really annoying when it happens when I'm in the middle of something, such as a download.

The connection loss may be because the DHCP lease is expiring.
I'm not sure about your particular router, but check the router configuration settings to see if you can find something along the lines of "Renew IP forever" (that's what the option is called on my D-Link DI-704P). This option allows the router to renew the IP address automatically when the lease time expires, even if the system is idle.

If it is a dynamic IP and if the lease is expiring you can avoid the annoyance by "re-leasing" (option in your router menu somewhere) the IP address and getting a new one before you start anything time consuming. The lease should last for 4,8,12,24 hours depending on your ISP. Look for something ike DHCP release adn DHCP Renew.

If the IP is static (your ip address never changes) then it's not a lease issue.

It could be a problem with an inadequate signal level on the cable line. Cable companies are notorious for not maintaining quality connections (or as in the case of a friend of mine his neighbors are stealing cable so they screw it up every now and then splicing into the line). Or the modem sensitivity could be degrading with age.

Check the lease first if that is not the problem call the cable comapny and ask. You may need to do a lot of *****ing to get them to check it but hey, you're paying $600 a year for life so it better be up to spec! If the cable company blows you off try calling your city councilman. They hate the cable comapnies too.

I couldn't find an option for automatic rereleasing. When it goes down, I directly connect my cable modem to my network card, and it works fine. When I connect it to my router, it doesn't work.

Make sure your router's ventilation is not blocked. Too much heat inside the device can cause it to stall.
I think this might be a possible cause since my Netgear router had the same problem, and when I put my hand to the device, it was quite hot.

It does get a tad hot. Much hotter than when I used my Linksys router. That could be the problem. What can I use to keep the temperature down?

Some cable companies will disconnect your connection if you are behind a router without their consent.

Originally posted by Daviepants
It does get a tad hot. Much hotter than when I used my Linksys router. That could be the problem. What can I use to keep the temperature down?

Place the router somewhere that you know has a good circulation of air, maybe near a fan or something so that it blows the hot air away.

does the internet drop when someone else turns on there pc and uses the net ?

if so your problem is that the router is not getting enough power :/

Deathy

Not getting enough power? How would it get more power then?

I'm not sure when people start using it. My cousins could be on right now and I wouldn't know. Their computer is in the basement.

Try rolling back your firmware if it was upgraded recently. I upgraded my Linksys once and a lot of stuff (FTP, SMTP, etc) totally stopped working.

Heat is an issue, my connection used to drop when the router stalled, the family tends to stack a lot of crap on top of it. Make sure that air can flow over all sides (raise it up on some small blocks to get air under it too).

JJB

Originally posted by deathy
does the internet drop when someone else turns on there pc and uses the net ?

if so your problem is that the router is not getting enough power :/

Deathy

How can a router not have enough power if they have an external power supply?

I've had this problem with my Netgear DG814 DSL Modem/router (See the thread Netgear DG814 Problems in this forum). The way I fixed it was to reduce my MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) size from 1483 (which is the default) down to 1400. Now it stays connected with no loss of connection at all.

May be worth a go !

If your router overheats, it might cause it to stop working.

I have had this happen, and i hope it happens enough for it to break, but that is besides the point.

I suggest checking if its really warm, if so try mounting a fan on top of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back