Netgear 5-port switch problem

Aussie983

ßµ®?i? ?ili???
Ok, here's the deal:

I have my server downstairs in a closet hooked up to a 5-port netgear switch, the new silver kind. The switch is connected to my router upstairs via a 50ft patch cable. For some reason, when the server is connected to the switch, the upload speed outside of the network is crap. If i plug the server directly into the router via the 50ft cable it works fine.

I kinda need this switch cause i use it to connect the ps2 up also and play games online. Why the heck would a switch be causeing this kind of problem?

Make sure you're using good quality cable, for one... I always use Fast CAT5e, not just standard cat5 or cat5e... We actually have 2 switches linked here and they work perfectly fine.... computers on the 2nd switch get the same transfer rates as those on the first switch. I don't see having daisy-chained switches as being a problem in and of itself. It doesn't sound to me like the issue is the cable connecting the two switches since the server runs fine off it... Perhaps a bad piece of cable connecting the server to the switch? or perhaps a bad switch?

hmmmmmmm...tommorow i will investigate the switch isolated, and make sure all the cables im using are good.

I know the 50ft cable and all the fairly short cables in the router stack are Cat6 cables. I think the one on the server may be a really old cat 5, so i may need to replace that

let us know how it works out... The cable sounds like it's the culprit, to be honest.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back