Netgear 5-port switch problem

Aussie983

ßµ®ηiή Şiliςδη
Ok, here's the deal:

I have my server downstairs in a closet hooked up to a 5-port netgear switch, the new silver kind. The switch is connected to my router upstairs via a 50ft patch cable. For some reason, when the server is connected to the switch, the upload speed outside of the network is crap. If i plug the server directly into the router via the 50ft cable it works fine.

I kinda need this switch cause i use it to connect the ps2 up also and play games online. Why the heck would a switch be causeing this kind of problem?

cryogenic

OSNN Addict
Make sure you're using good quality cable, for one... I always use Fast CAT5e, not just standard cat5 or cat5e... We actually have 2 switches linked here and they work perfectly fine.... computers on the 2nd switch get the same transfer rates as those on the first switch. I don't see having daisy-chained switches as being a problem in and of itself. It doesn't sound to me like the issue is the cable connecting the two switches since the server runs fine off it... Perhaps a bad piece of cable connecting the server to the switch? or perhaps a bad switch?

Aussie983

ßµ®ηiή Şiliςδη
hmmmmmmm...tommorow i will investigate the switch isolated, and make sure all the cables im using are good.

I know the 50ft cable and all the fairly short cables in the router stack are Cat6 cables. I think the one on the server may be a really old cat 5, so i may need to replace that

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nasty12