NetBeui- Where to get it

I

i_pedal

My Sony only came with restore discs and are not really browseable. Does any know where I can get NetBeui? Would the one on the Win98 disc work?
thanks,
bill g

net beui should be found on your windows 98 CD. i would assume that u have XP since that u are on an XP site. if you have that, then it will be better to get it off of that CD. Happy networking!!

Brad

NetBeui

Brad,
Thanks for reply. I can't really search the recovery discs that came with this computer. The files are in something besides cabs.
I'll try the Win98 NetBeui.
bill g

i really need to know what operating system you are running in order to help you

Brad

It's a good idea to make a footer with your system spec's so that whenever you have a problem you don't have to post your system spec's everytime...

thats the first thing everyone needs to know: what your running...

I'm running XP-Home. Other stuff below. I'm on an NT lan, *trying* to access a sybase app on a sql server. I can hit the LAN ok, except for not having the convenience of a Domain login. I really don't know if the NetBeui would help, just saw a suggestion somewhere here to try it.
I get so sidetracked by this thing hanging when trying to browse I can't really tell what to do, except I'm really leaning toward formatting this disc and installing win98.
Does everyone's XP hang for 5 minutes when opening explorer or My Comp?
thaanks,
bill g

Netbeui is trash...lol...it's the fastest protocol out there, but it is basically useless since it can't be routed etc., I, myslef just took it off ALL the machines on my network...and yes, there is some delay when trying to access another computer's shared resources.

Re: ...

Originally posted by dejav00
Netbeui is trash...lol...it's the fastest protocol out there, but it is basically useless since it can't be routed etc., I, myslef just took it off ALL the machines on my network...and yes, there is some delay when trying to access another computer's shared resources.

i wouldnt say its trash...it is all in what you are using it for. if it is for fast transfers of data, then it kicks ass. but if you want to use it on anything more than 5 computers, then the speed is going to really lag. it is not able to be used on any more than 10 computers on the same network.

Brad

i stand corrected...but im still not gonna use it cuz i got 7 computers lol:D

It's a fast and light protocol, unfortunately it's the king of collisions since it's broadcast-based as well. It will "work" with more than 10 nodes, it's just that it doesn't *scale* well beyond that number. I am just glad that it's dead as far as MS is concerned and that they are focused on improving their TCP/IP performance.

i_pedal....if you still want netbeui, the .zip file with all the files you need and instructions on how to use them are attached to this message.

Hey thanks. I'm just looking for anything that might stop this 5 minute hang when using explorer or "My Computer". I realize there is some delay since I'm on a LAN with @ 50 computers, but this delay is worse than any win version I've used. And then to have to mount the share vs a domain logon.
bill g

ur using Netbeui with 50 computers???? thats why u have a five minute hang. netbeui isnt good for anything over 5 computers. if u are using 50 computers, i would suggest going to tcp/ip

Brad

No. I'm not using NetBuei currently. I'm just grabbing at straws trying to eliminate the XP Hang Time when I start to browse the c:\ drive. If I close explorer and then re-open it a minute later I still have this hang of 3-5 minutes, which is really unacceptable.
bill g

hmmm that long huh...how long has it been since u defraged?

Brad

Originally posted by i_pedal
No. I'm not using NetBuei currently. I'm just grabbing at straws trying to eliminate the XP Hang Time when I start to browse the c:\ drive. If I close explorer and then re-open it a minute later I still have this hang of 3-5 minutes, which is really unacceptable.
bill g
My guess is that you have sortcuts and/or files associated with programs on a remote computer. This will cause a hell of a delay everytime you use explorer, especially if the remote computer is unavailable.

Thanks for reply folks,
I' just got this machine last week. Out of the box it had that 3-5 min lag w/My Computer.
Today I started a dos dir cmd at the same time I clicked "My Computer". The flashlight went away about the same time as the dir stopped scrolling.
What it looks like to me (besides there are a bunch of files on this thing) is that every instance of My Comp" or explorer must re-establish the listing. This is especially annoying when I do a "File SaveAs/In thing and the dialog box has to re-establish the list.
It's almost like it's two different users.
bill g
(hates flashlights :) )

The network will slow things down no matter what. But doing what JJB posted (follow the link) WILL help substantially. Beyond that, there's not too much you can do, except unmap some of your network drives if it's that slow.
/Lactic

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back