NetBeui problem

L

loque

ok I have 3 comps, 2 xp pro and one 98se. one xp pro can see the 98 and vice versa but the second xp pro cannot see anything, just itself. I have clean installed and nothing. it worked before but I had to clean install because of a virus. I have NetBeui on all machines but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated, I am getting pretty frustrated.

First try going through the instructions of the walk-throughs posted in the read-me at the top of the Networking forum. If none of that works (meaning, setting up TCP/IP, NetBIOS, ICS, whatever you need, testing it, trying to ping each machine from each other machine etc) then make sure you say what you've tried and we'll go from there.
/Lactic

honestly man I have tried everything. I had everything going fine on the exact same set up then I got a virus which destroyed everything..... then I clean installed and nothing but probelms from then on in. I have tried another clean install, I can't change network cards becuase my ip binds the MAC address to the ip so a different card won't let me access the internet. I might try buying a new card and seeing if it finds the other comps in the network neighbourhood. WHat I don't understand is that it was working just peachy and it was exactly the same setup! nothing was changed except for the clean install on the machine that is giving my troubles. all I can think of is that it could be drivers for my card. it is a Dlink card that I had on the machine when I had ME on it then I just upgraded to XP pro. Maybe I am just full of it!

TCP/IP is out of the question exept if I buy a router, my ip won't let you set the ip for each machine. If I set the ips for each machine manually, I lose my internet and I can ping each machine just fine.

I need sleep......

Loque

ok dude make sure u got netbeui installed on all machines. if ya do kewl, next. make sure its actually being loaded on at bootup. go to ur xp machine that ur havin probs with. check the event viewer(start -> control panel -> admin tools -> event viewer). i have had probs with netbeui and xp. sometimes it just decides not to load. then all u do is uninstall it and reinstall it.

so, now that you are in the event viewer click system. now go click view and go to find. leave everything alone in the find dialog execpt for the description. enter netbeui. if see something like "service control manger" under the source column. double click it. read it. if it says something bout netbeui not loading the just uninstall and reinstall netbeui. if not, next.

i have a similar set up to u. i have an xp pro machine and my roomate has a 98se machine. with his 98 machine because he is using profiles, for himself and his girlfriend. now, when he tries to access my machine he does so with a user name. that username has to exist in the xp machine. so just create one. but, its has to be the same as his user name exactly the same. now go back to the admin tools and go to localy security policy. expand local policys and click user rights assignment. look for "access this computer from the network" double click it. now just put that user name in there.

if your still havein probs. uninstall netbeui from all machines, reboot all machines. install netbeui in all machines and reboot again.

also, are u using ics in any of the xp machines??? if you are might wanna check it out and go through all the settings.

anywayz man hope this helps.

oDin.

ok man I am checking that out right now, that has been the most help I have ever gotten. I will let you knwo how it goes.

out,
Loque

oDin you are a god thanks a bunch man.... I have never been happier!

Thanks again!
Loque

i am guessing it worked then...kewl....keep an i on that netbeui...like i said it tends disapear once and awhile

oDin.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back