.NET opinions...

C

Caligo

Does anyone else think that the whole .NET idea is a seriously bad move? For starters, who wants to buy subscriptions to software? I have to deal with a yearly license for a 3D rendering package that I'm learning in my spare time. It's a real pain to renue that, I can't imagine having to do it for an essential piece of software. If that package goes down for a few days, I can deal, but if I lose Office or my OS for a few days because of hang up with the license renewal, yeah that's slightly more than a detail.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like using the next version of Office or other .NET products will require an internet connection since the software will apparently be run on MS's server when the user requests it. I know that I do not always have access to an internet connection. Besides, have they forgotten that most people on the internet still use dial-up? I saw a number that showed 62%! Can you imagine working through a 28.8 connection that drops every hour or so? Ouch.

How about the security issue? Yikes! You know as well as I do that we've seen some pretty unusual holes in XP since October. My personal favorite is the scripting problem where someone can log you off of your computer through Internet Explorer. Yeah, that's good. They might want to consider using UNIX for this one.

I don't know, I guess it's still early and we don't have all the details, but I think they might be jumping the gun a bit.

.net can be used without requiring any sort of net access. .net allows the embedding of networked objects (which in turn allows them to make software subscriptionware if they want) for some things yes .net will have to make sure it is secure and such, the thing about .net is it is just another programming language..it has it's strength and weaknesses...MS is attempting to finish what java tried to start

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back