Nero replacement:BurnAtOnce vs CDBurnerXPPro

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Since I had had enough of Nero 5.5, I asked in another Thread what freeware could replace Nero. Two options were givin to me.
CoatHanger007 then asked me to compare BurnAtOnce to CDBurnerXPPro.

Being used to Nero, I looked at these two progs from a Nero user standpoint.

CDBurnerXPPro definately wins in the user friendly interface. Any Nero or EZCD user can quickly figure out what to do to compile and write a CD with this prog. Pretty limited as to what you can do with it too. Audio and DVD's, that's it. No mastering. Atleast none that I can see. Size of installation:22.4Megs

BurnAtOnce was not easy for me to get working. I fried 12 CD's trying Bin/Cue, Bootable Slipstreaming, and Audio configurations. The help file was really no help at all. The forums was a big help for each of the mentioned configurations, but the moderator was not impressed that I was a newbie to the bin/cue burn using burnatonce. He seemed pissed of that I did not understand the help file and was asking a dumb question. Size of Installation:2.47Megs

CDBurnerXP Pro, does have one major fault through the 4 audio cd's that I burnt, it is that it recreates a new buffer for each song that it is going to burn. This meant an inexcusably long burn times. Average 700meg audioCD burn: 22minutes.

Between the two: I am tipping my hat towards the BurnAtOnce because of: burn times, complete control over mastering, extremely small installation footprint, but I will be posting questions about it here as I am sure that I will get removed from the forums over there if I ask another simpleton type question again. Dam newbies!!!

My computer settings for comparison: IMAPI disabled, Autoplay enabled, let prog detect max burn speed, same mp3 songs for both burns, totalling 651megs.

I have found my Nero replacement, totally freeware.

Heeter

also replaced nero with burnatonce, and i really like it. also tried cdburnerxp but didn't like it. couldn't find a way to burn cd images, and burnatonce is so simple and effective with its interface. so burnatonce has completely replaced nero :)

All burn-at-once is is a front end for mkisofs and dao .. made completely in vb6 .. It is a nice prog though ..

*Raises hand*
Another Nero-to-burnatonce convert here. Moved to it a while ago, and I didn't look back. Burnatonce is so simplistic, yet it does everything I need it to do. Just how a CD-burning app should be.
:)

Thanks Heeter. My CD-RW came with Nero so I'm sticking with it. Like the overburning feature.

Originally posted by lechtard
All burn-at-once is is a front end for mkisofs and dao .. made completely in vb6 .. It is a nice prog though ..
Yip :D

Originally posted by NetRyder
*Raises hand*
Another Nero-to-burnatonce convert here. Moved to it a while ago, and I didn't look back. Burnatonce is so simplistic, yet it does everything I need it to do. Just how a CD-burning app should be.
:)
^what he said. :p

please try sony extreme, tell me how it compares

read about it on this site

this iswhat I've been using, but I don't know much about these programs

Originally posted by coathanger007
Thanks Heeter. My CD-RW came with Nero so I'm sticking with it. Like the overburning feature.

Just so you know, Burnatonce includes an overburning feature as well. Not asking you to switch, just letting you know ;)

sony extreme...someone compare please so I can tell if I should switch

'ppreciate it

Sure Dealer,

I will try Sony Extreme.

Heeter

Originally posted by NetRyder
Just so you know, Burnatonce includes an overburning feature as well. Not asking you to switch, just letting you know ;)

Thanks - certainly got me thinking.

what do you mean by overburn?

sony extreme writes over used cd's...is this what you mean?

Burning more than you should be able to onto a CD basically.
All CDs can store more then the normal capacity stated my the manufactures. Most 74 mins can store between 74 and 75 mins maximum on a normal burn. However with some CD recorders(Plextor, Yamaha, Teac,+ more lately) you can overburn CD's. So you can write a few extra minutes on them.

Simply stated an overburn is every CD containing more then 75.00 minutes on 74 mins disc, or everything above 80 mins on a 80 mins disc(no reason to overburn these)

Both your recorder and software like Cdrwin, Discjuggler, Feurio, Nero etc must support overburning. Check Ahead's website to see if your writer overburns
and you can't write over used CD's it's physically impossible, unless the disc is a re-writable (aka: CD-RW)

aha...now I know what over burn is, and of couse I emant cd-rw.

thanx 4 the inf0

Overburn is like overclocking. You can burn more than the discs capacity. I've burnt 850MB on a 800MB CD-R :)

Originally posted by coathanger007
Overburn is like overclocking. You can burn more than the discs capacity. I've burnt 850MB on a 800MB CD-R :)
Blimey! :D
What brand CD-r's where you using?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back