News Nero 9.4.12.3 Free Version

Nero is now offering a limited version of it's software for free.
I assume it is probably just the burning ROM but that is the only part of Nero some people want.

What’s better than free? Free forever! Nero offers you the chance to enjoy Nero’s world-renowned data disc burning and copying features for an unlimited time, absolutely FREE!
Enjoy basic data burning and copying capabilities for your CDs and DVDs from the world’s most trusted digital media brand, Nero.
:source: News Source and Download: Nero 9.4.12.3 Free

Thats quite cool of them really, it has got a rep of having alot of bloat, but I think 9 is quite tame.

If my nero isn't running, its not using any system resouces, I can't see anything hiding in the background although I do have some of the options not installed, aside from the main app I generally only use Nerovision.

The reason Nero are doing this is basically there are dozens of perfectly good free CD burners now and of course every time you buy a computer it comes with a piece of trial CD burning software on it!

Take - ImgBurn - a fine example of basic functionality of CD burning.

Nero has done what a lot of other utility software developers end up doing to make a daily crust - add more content and so justify bringing out a new version yearly.

The result is bloatware. This has a side effect of pushing people away.
Look at what happened to the web browser Navigator for example. People got tired and developed Firefox.

Norton and others have all been found guilty of falling into this trap.

This sales route ultimately leads to many disgruntled existing customers as they have to fork out more money for things they don't want just to get bugs fixed.

Which is odd as the #1 rule in business is - don't annoy your existing customers!

I prefer a company to sell me separate packages that can operate integrated if used together so I buy exactly what I need. These can be updated much easier than a huge package and keeps the 'fat' off.

I've been in the industry 29 years now, you'd think these companies would look at the history of software development and its sale practises and not head down the same slippery slope of a dead end.

I guess since we let them do this to us, we've ultimately only got ourselves to blame. :yowch:

N
Yea Imgburn is the only one I will ever use again. I did use Nero awhile back, but of course has stopped. Don't matter how much they fixed it, cleaned it, no need to go back now.

This version of Nero 9 contains simply data burning and disc copying features for CDs and DVDs. Additional features and functionality are available with an upgrade to Nero 9 full version.

I will stick with imgburn ..

I use Roxio. It's easy and works! It's good to know that Nero is free though, that was the first CD burning program I discovered.

Hey thanks for the post! Nice to have something for free for Windows 7 until i actually buy it and make it my primary OS.

nero free, r u joking, who uses it , It already has too many probs with full software. free is waste of time. I m using ashampoo burner too. its pretty good too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back