Neo FSR2 and jumping voltages

Kanbeki

OSNN Junior Addict
I was just sitting around in bios..and noticed that the battery V and the vcore on this mobo keep jumping around..is this normal? I've had no end of trouble with this mobo..is this a fixable problem or is it whats been causing all of my problems?

How much is "jumping"?

If its going from 5.01 to 4.98 that's normal if drives are getting used.

If it's going from 4 to 7 that means that the sensor is bad or the bios is looking at the wrong sensor. Probably bad since I'd hope they were looking at the right sensor in the Bios. (It is the official and up to date bios for that board right? Not a crack you got off a website?) Cheapo cards don't always put in the hardware to monitor temps and speeds (my ECS NF2 has no MB temp sensor).

Define what you mean by "no end of troubles" and maybe we can help. i.e. Does it crash, won't over clock, doesn't like cheaper memory sticks, etc. Some of that can be dealt with through bios settings.

It was skipping between 4.5 and 5, its the official bios, isn't up to date, by no end of troubles i mean, it stopped working after an electrical storm, replaced the psu from generic 500W to OCZ powerstream 470W, now I can't get to a single OS that runs from a harddrive, leading me to think the board has major drive read problems from both the VIA PATA+SATA and Promise PATA+SATA controllers, note that it worked perfectly before the storm and didn't have any problems with any of its hardware, but now post storm I think a lot got messed up, and I even had the pc plugged into a grounded outlet..ground musn't actually ground on that outlet and just have the 3 hole deal..I don't know..I've sorta posted this before but here LeeJend see what you thik

what motherboard do you have? ie what chipset? is it the k8t800 board?

as far as volts go yes... they do fluctuate within a given margin and they are generally safe... the voltage fluctuation has more to do with your power-supply than the motherboard btw...

Yes its the K8T800 board, I'm in the process of trying to get it RMA'd but for the past couple of hours its run knoppix 3.4 and been at full load running folding@home..First time I got an OS to boot from it even though it runs off the ram drive...can't boot from IDE or SATA drives on the Via southbridge or integrated promise still..jumped it a quite a few times and it makes no change

I have the same board and all components are working so it would seem you do have a faulty board now..

out of curiosity what is your power supply wrt amperage being delivered on the 12V rail? it sounds like you have no worries there but still never hurts to ask...

the electrical storm does sound like it is the culprit... was everything grounded inluding the internet conection? cable or dsl if ungrounded can also lead to spikes in the mobo...

check the capacitors near the top of the board above the cpu and see if any are swollen as well... swollen caps mean trouble.. they should all retain their shape...

hopefully you can get it rma'd...

I'm not sure how to read this thing but..it says 396 on the 12+ its a brand new power supply..I had to replace the old one..and I don't know what a swollen cap looks like but it doesn't look too swollen..and if it jumped through the IC wouldn't it have fried everything else in its path including the router and the other pc?
*EDIT*
also, the majority of problems I'm having with this board right now are about the southbridge if that helps any

if something does fry the on-board GbE or affect it... it does not necessarily have to fry the rest of the board...

given that the problems occured after the storm it seems logical that the problems were caused by the storm..

with regards to the amperage... on the side of your power supply there is generally a little list... correlating to the 12v rail there should be an amperage... my current psu is a 450W psu and gives me 27A on the 12v rail...

as far as the south bridge is concerned basically the south-bridge is what the audio/network card/RAID /ACPI/USB and IDE/EIDA channels are running through so if there was damage to it it will likely affect any/all of those functions...

as suggested.. .consider RMA'ing the board if the problem is not fixed with the usual methods (ie clearing CMOS and resetting everything and so on)

for what its worth it is unlikely to be a power-supply related issue since your psu appears to be good enough...

I know the southbridge is affected because both raid controllers and pata controllers are out of whack and refuse to boot windows under any circumstances the only OS i can run on that PC right now is Knoppix running from the ram, I know its not the hdd because I've tried mutliple ones that work in all my other machines normally, I think rmaing is the only thing left to do, heard MSI aren't too speedy about it though

where did you buy the board from?

also since the damage is unlikely to be covered under warranty they may not rma it..

i bought my first neo fisr2 from NEWEGG and it was apparently damaged during shipping... RMA was no problem at all... done within 5 mins and confirmation number... soon as they received my board I had my money back in my account... no re-stocking fee or anything...

I got the board from accupc because it was fairly cheaper than newegg, and I can't even tell where or if theres damage, no fry marks or anything and the board is pretty functional still its just the hdd controllers, which was an option on the MSI RMA site, and I got approved for RMA, I just have to mail it out

glad it worked out... :)

keep us posted on if the new motherboard helps out or if you have a similar problem...

MSI finally rma'd my board but they stole my retention mount..anyone have spares?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back