Need XP Pro w SP1 to report Original build 2600

C

Critic

Using XP Pro build 2600 with SP1 Beta applied.

I'm trying to run StyleXP (like windowblinds, but uses 0 footprint).

Anyway, when I try to activate it, it complains that my version is not correct. (due to SP1). I feel confident SP1 didn't change any of the visual stuff, so I just need a way to 'trick' it into running.

Is there a REG entry somewhere that I can get to have it report as being 2600 to run this ?

sorry, it's a well known issue with installing SP1, StyleXP will not work with it, everybody who has installed SP1 is having the same problem. :(

I was hoping for REG entry

Installed Dx9 beta, and 3dMark2001 wouldn't work at first, until changed the reg entry that reported the version, so now it works fine...

Should be a way to do this for StyleXP

hey Ice, not sure how or why but i've installed SP1 and Style XP will still work on my laptop, just lucky I suppose!!!

well if u figure it out, please post it a lot of people want that fix.

:D

You need to hack uxtheme.dll manually or replace it with a hack someone else has done, have a look in the themes forum, someone may have done it there... believe they changed it to incorporate the changes in the sp1 control panel...

Here you go

You may need to replace the file while in safe mode...
I would epxect StyleXP will be updatd once the service pack has been officially released..

true EP however after installing StyleXp and runing it for a while I then installed the SP1 update and didn't change the .dll file again therefore I'm still using the one StyleXP installed. so if it works on my box it should in theory work on others.

then again this is XP we are on about and it can do strage things!!!!!:p

Well generally it recognises that you are using a build other that 2600 and reports this when you try and use it... but then thats XP, like you said ;)

EP other than booting into safe mode what's a quick way to check build number for XP. "System" in control panel just lists it as version 2002 and shows the SP number.

The following reg keys refer to build number, after making the usula backup for safety you may be able to reset build number to 2600 in here. My system still refers to build 2600 even after install of SP1.

Not sure if this will work but may be worth a look.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Originally posted by brodie
The following reg keys refer to build number, after making the usula backup for safety you may be able to reset build number to 2600 in here. My system still refers to build 2600 even after install of SP1.

Not sure if this will work but may be worth a look.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM

I've replaced the .DLL and the first 2 reg entries report build 2600, the third reads like this: 2600.xpsp1.xxxxxx-xxxx

If this is the right entry to change, what do I change it to ?

Does the CSDVersion need to changed also ?

the third one is the same as my system so leave it for now and see how you go.

remember to back up registry before changing anything!!!!!!!

Umm... I feel close to getting this to work. Read the other posts.

I've replaced the DLL.

of the 3 Reg entries. The first 2 report build 2600 and the third one is the only one I can see that might need a change. It reads

2600.xpsp1.xxxxxx-xxxx

Could someone with build 2600 and NO SP1 UPDAtE lemme know what their reg key reads

The reason for replacing the dll is not to get Style XP working again, it just means you can now load 3rd party themes via the display manager, like I said before, it will prob. be best to wait for an official release of StyleXP before trying it. The areas of memory that it will attempt to patch have now changed to incorporate the changes to the control panel... Just thought you wanteed themes ;)

I've never tried Windowblinds. Does it not have a zero footprint now? I once asked the author of wincustomize.com why they didn't support StyleXP and don't quote me on this but I think they said WB is now zero footprint since Stardock and Microsoft have shared code.
I've never understood why either apps are needed and visual styles just can't be put and used where XP's default ones are.

I have windowblinds 3.3, and it's not 0 footprint, (wbload.exe must be running)

It works pretty well, and there are alot of skins available, but it does use some resources and it isn't perfect. still a little too buggy for me.

Thats why I'm more interested in StyleXP, seems to just replace the M$ visuals, which makes alot more sense.

Looks like I'll just have to use the plain jane M$ for awhile ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back